ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FK Konigsport good enough for track only?

PH1
As above really.
I've just made the expensive mistake of buying the wrong suspension set up for a track only use PH1, so I don't have much cash left to fix the problem but I need to get it right.

I fitted Koni/eibach pro's on the front and Koni/MF on the rear but the first outing at Oulton proved that this is not a track set up as even on the firmest setting there is still too much movement.

From the little I have managed to read the FK's appear to get some good reviews, but I'm just unsure if they will go hard enough:eek:
Anyone had any experience of using the FK's on track?

Also, best place to buy?
Ta

PH1
Would it be worthwhile looking at the Eibach spring rates with a view to getting firmer springs to run with the Koni's?

Being a knob :dapprove:I threw the original suspension away so I can't remove/sell the current set up to help raise funds for the coilovers, so funds are limited to 600-650 max.

260% JCW
I had the Koni/eibach combo and also found it to soft for track, ive got some Konigsports now and they're alot stiffer. Still some body roll but alot better.

Try Kam in the traders section.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
KoniSports are good (Ollie82. & Nick172Cup use them on their track cars), but the dampers are Koni anyway, so if the current Koni's arent hard enough?

I'd get Bilsteins for the Trophy if they fitted. My favourite suspension. Period.

Great out the box.

PH1
I'd get Bilsteins for the Trophy if they fitted. My favourite suspension. Period.
Good enough for track only?
I guess i just don't want to get it wrong again, and the thought of having some adjustment makes you think you could dial out any issues, if the bilsteins don't suit straight out of the box your bolloxed:(

Stripped yozza'd cup
Good enough for track only?
I guess i just don't want to get it wrong again, and the thought of having some adjustment makes you think you could dial out any issues, if the bilsteins don't suit straight out of the box your bolloxed:(

But they're great out of the box, so you don't need to worry.... Bilstein is where my money will be going.

21 Turbo
I have to add this....to save confusion and everybody being blinded by the lights.....

The Bilsteins werent fitted to a Clio and then tested at the 'Ring. The monotube design/idea was developed at the 'Ring, Bilstein then built a kit for every road car based on the results.

Without wanting to start a war, everyone who recommends them are people who, merely WANT them, not actually OWN them.

During hard corner and uneven road surfaces the rear arches of my M3 rubbed on the tyres with Bilsteins fitted. At MAXIMUM available height too
So high, my mate questioned whether or not it was lowered lol

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Perhaps you should have fitted wheels with the correct offset / correct tyres or sorted out the geometry then?

On my E36, it was not possible for the rear tyres to rub the arches, as with the correct offset and tyres fitted they simply cleared the arch.

21 Turbo
Perhaps you should have fitted wheels with the correct offset / correct tyres or sorted out the geometry then?

On my E36, it was not possible for the rear tyres to rub the arches, as with the correct offset and tyres fitted they simply cleared the arch.

Oooo get you with your 'Perhaps this and perhaps that'

Perhaps you shouldn't assume you know me and my cars.......bellend

I ran standard E36 17" wheels with no spacers, 225/45/17 upfront and 235/40/17 at rear. I changed RTABS twice in 2years, rear droplinks, camber bolts and even the little spring pads in the rear arms.
Pointless me' telling you where I went for 4WA as you live on a little island but to quieten you down a bit it went to WheelPower in Brockley where C3 have the geometry done on their race car, my mate who works at Vines in Redhill also had it in (that was before I'd lowered it mind).......I don't do pikey mods, I spent £1200 on a Milltek exhaust (silly me') ffs
Please don't assume you know me....

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
There is no need for insults.

You can list what you've supposedly done all day long, but if your tyres were rubbing the arch then there was something wrong. This "little island" I live on has many roads perfectly capable of bottoming out standard suspension and I've never experienced rubbing on any of my cars, especially not on my E36 - the tyre pretty much sat tucked inside the arch standard!

Sharing experiences is all well and good, but it does not help anyone when you come on here spouting misinformation because your car was broken, even less so when you follow up someone questioning this with insults.

21 Turbo
And none of either of your experiences with bmw's is of any use to this guy what so ever.

Lol and what experience do you have of Bilstein on a Clio? You run Eibach springs yet see fit to tell everyone to buy Bilsteins......I don't get how you can recommend something without owning it?!?

21 Turbo
There is no need for insults.

You can list what you've supposedly done all day long, but if your tyres were rubbing the arch then there was something wrong. This "little island" I live on has many roads perfectly capable of bottoming out standard suspension and I've never experienced rubbing on any of my cars, especially not on my E36 - the tyre pretty much sat tucked inside the arch standard!

Sharing experiences is all well and good, but it does not help anyone when you come on here spouting misinformation because your car was broken, even less so when you follow up someone questioning this with insults.

Ur daft reply wound me up, just as it's doing now. You have no idea of what state my car was in, so please do assume it was broken. It's not misinformation, when the car didn't rub on standard kit, yet the very minute the Bilsteins were fitted it rubbed it's tits off.
I'll dig out some pics for you that 'show' the drop......I'm happy for you that yours didn't rub, i spent a fortune trying to get mine to stop.....in the end I gave up went back to stock height and it never rubbed again.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Lol and what experience do you have of Bilstein on a Clio? You run Eibach springs yet see fit to tell everyone to buy Bilsteins......I don't get how you can recommend something without owning it?!?

You don't own them on a Clio either. I don't see the difference.

They come well recommended, I've never said to anyone that I own them. In fact, I quite clearly say that they are what I would spend my money on.

21 Turbo
Bilstein b14

The guy has asked about FK Konigsports, you replied with the above. Whats that got to do with his question? You then go on to say 'they are great out of the box', how would you know and what do you base your recommendation on?

I've never had them on a Clio, however I do have experience of Bilsteins fitted to a vehicle and based on the fact that when I swapped suspension and came away from Bilsteins my car NO LONGER rubbed, I'd say I'm qualified somewhat to put an opinion across. I was saying I found them to rub on the car I had them fitted to. Although MikeH would have you believe my rear quarter panels were fitted lower on my car :rasp:;)

21 Turbo
I also cant imagine an everyday driver in a 'sometimes' track car would see the £3-400 difference in the non adjustable setup (Kams deal not inc)

Dont get me wrong, my M3 handled well, very well, felt amazingly planted, turn in was very different, wasnt at all harsh. Another friend with an M3 said 'BMW should have fitted these standard as you get a better ride' - they just rubbed at rear and I constantly smelled burning rubber.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I said Bilstein's because they're not a lot more money, but have an incredibly good reputation.

How can you not include Kam racing's deal? You're comparing prices, but not including the best price.... I get the feeling you just enjoy arguing with people on internet forums.
I never said I owned them, nor did I ever say I'd driven with them. I have however, researched coilovers a lot on this forum and Bilstein's seem to be the best recommended for the money. Hence why I suggested them.

21 Turbo
I said Bilstein's because they're not a lot more money, but have an incredibly good reputation.

How can you not include Kam racing's deal? You're comparing prices, but not including the best price.... I get the feeling you just enjoy arguing with people on internet forums.
I never said I owned them, nor did I ever say I'd driven with them. I have however, researched coilovers a lot on this forum and Bilstein's seem to be the best recommended for the money. Hence why I suggested them.

Apmsl@enjoy arguing - nope I just want to be recommended a product by someone who owns it. Sir_Dave and yourself recommended them by saying 'its what I'd have' and Kam Racing are bound to recommend them as they sell them, I'd be worried if they didnt push them.
If someone came to me and said 'What are throttle bodies like' - I'm in no position to recommend them to anyone, Ive never had them.
As for Kams price, I should have put @RRP they are £3-400 dearer.......even at Kams price they are still dearer than the adjustable FK kit. Also a group buy usually has a limited run, so when this ends people will be back at top dollar.
I dont want to argue, I type as if I'm sat next to you in a pub mate. I'm sat here thinking we're 2 folk trying to get a point across.....:)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sir_Dave and yourself recommended them by saying 'its what I'd have' and Kam Racing are bound to recommend them as they sell them, I'd be worried if they didnt push them.

Ummm, you can leave me out the arguement thanks lol.

I've had Bilstein on 2 x 106 gti's, a saxo vts & a 306 Rallye, hence why i like them. I've also tried Konigsport's on the clio's - id be more than happy with either.

As it happens, i run Sachs, because i'm a Trophy owner ;)

People seem to forget, different suspension works on different cars. Gaz is rubbish on the clio, but on the e36, i was a fan of even the GHA setup. Similarly, AST is bummed on here for clio's, but not on 106/saxo's.

Every car is different, & a suspension setup that was honed on the 'ring using a 911, might not necessarily be the best setup once transferred into the clio application, etc etc. In addition, one persons preference, might be different to anothers setup wise.

21 Turbo
LOL I wasnt trying to involve you mate, just trying to get my point across.

As for the rest of what you said, fair do's you have experience of Bilstein therefore are 'in my own little book' qualified to recommend.
As for Gaz, its only on here that Ive ever heard anything bad said about them.....in contrast to that LeeJSA on here has used Gaz for years on his 172 and its only ever used on track, he crows and crows about how good it is.

Anyway........sigh

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just this minute ordered the FK Konigsport coilover kit, should have them in a weeks time :)

GTiR 394bhp
Some manufacturers will service the coilovers for you and change the damping/spring rates to your spec.I was quoted £50 a corner to have my Teins revalved and about the same for the springs.Too late for the OP now but might help someone in the future.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I've run Bilsteins on BMW's without issue. Not the M3 though. I've run Bilsteins on just about every car I've owned and they always been good. So you cannot tar every set with an opinion based on one car. FK's are a budget brand in my opinion and certainly in the case of the Clio, the Bilstein is an upgrade in quality.

Clio 182
(sorry for my Englisch....i'm Dutch!)

The Bilstein B14's are good but i have a question about them.
In the text on the Kamracing site i read this;
"This Bilstein Coilover Kit for the Renault Clio RS lowers 30-60mm on the front and rear."

But when i look at the Bilstein site it says;
"25-30mm front and rear"

What is true?

PH1
Just for info as the thread starter, I have ended up going with..............................................

Gaz coil overs, gaz golds to be exact.
I used them at Oulton last month and was very pleased. I know they get a terrible review on here but these, along with some new Federal FZ201 tyres got me down too 2:05 from 2:08 so I was more than happy(except for the longevity of my DS3000 but that's another story;))