ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flapping noise coming from Engine Bay...Help!!!

Flame Red 172!
Already posted this in Tuning & Mechanical but need as much advice as I can get on this, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Here we go...

Yesterday I started hearing a really quiet sort of squeaking noise from the passenger side of the car (i think?) when pulling away with low revs - got home and opened bonnet and i'm sure there is a sort of flapping noise coming from the engine somewhere again on the passenger side.

The sqeaking (sort of sounds like something needs oiling?) doesn't happen when I rev the car when stationary but almost alway does when pulling away and then goes away when revs build up.

The flapping is worrying as I really don't think it was there until yesterday...

Really worried that something's going to snap soon and scared to drive really, don't want to blow up my new car - its a 51 plate 172 and I only got it a week ago!

Will it be blatently obvious if something has gone or going, will lights flash/bells ring, etc?!?!

Can anybody help me please, pretty desperate here!

Thanks. :(

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Check the metal shield that covers the engine management box just behind the battery. The bracket that secures it may have snapped as this sounds similar to what happened to mine.
Its only a thin piece of metal secured by a bolt and washer to the nearside turret and can snap causing vibration or a tapping noise.

Flame Red 172!
Progress?!...

Have checked where the Aux belt is on the drivers side and it doesn't look frayed or anything...Then thought, hold on a minute, i've just had a new powerflow exhaust fitted and I wonder if it has anything to do with that?

Checked under the car whilst it was running and noticed that there is fluid spitting out at the flange (love that word!) where the cat meets the new pipe...maybe it has something to do with that? - sorry i'll re-phrase, PLEASE GOD TELL ME IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT!!!!

Alsp there is little fast-paced ticking noise coming from the engine but I assume this is normal or as you say the sheild thingy? (wow, how technical am I!) ?

Can anyone tell me where the cambelt is located in the engine bay so I can check it?