ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flashing on the Motorway.

Mondeo STTDCI

Some heated discussions about the fast lane are happening in Driving Tales right now. I dont usually bother to read it as the threads all end up arguing but...in the interests of gauging public opinion....

IMHO if someone is sitting in the fast lane whilst not overtaking, regardless of whether they are doing the limit or not, and I wish to overtake, then undertaking is not acceptable to me. I would only ever undertake if the 2 lanes to the left (and I would want 2) are completely and utterly free, thus allowing me to account for any stupid actions of the other driver and adjust.

Tailgating is also unacceptable. I would deem the correct action to be to sit a safe distance behind for a few minutes so the other driver is aware you are there. After that, I think a flash of the headlights is acceptable. Im sure it says in the highway code somewhere that the only acceptable use of flashing is not to say "thank you" or to "let someone go", but to signal to another driver your presence, to let them know you are there.

Therefore surely a flash is acceptable? If the other driver still doesnt move and is a complete tw*t then you have to grin and bear it. Its the only way.

What do you think?

Mr2 Roadster

I will sit behind them at a safe distance and if they dont move I will flash...

I dont see the big issue.

I agree with you on the undertaking, Ill only undertake a car in the outside if i can do it in the inside lane with nothing in the middle, theres too many sh*te drivers about. I always drive in the lane closest to the inside, I cant stand it when people sit in the middle lane at 70 with nothing in the inside lane.

Fabia vRS

I usually just sit there till they move, never flashed anyone:oops: might get done for indecent exposure if i did

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Agreed with everything except the grin and bear it.. I would go mad and do something more stupid than undertaking like I normally do.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i do often undertake if they are sat in the middle or outside lane when the others are clear. but can usually accellerate fast enough to be past in seconds ;)

My mate who im always in the car with sits in the fast lane just about 90% of the time, people undertaking him and sat up his arse and he doesnt even realise! madness. get sick of saying move lanes for fuks sake!

Mr2 Roadster

I will undertake if I need to, like Adams says, Im past in seconds... Arhh the joys of fast hot-hatches. I dont like to undertake and Im not saying its right. Just that I will do it if I feel that Im being held up.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Erm.. wouldnt that mean you were breaking the speed limit on the assumption of course that the car infront was doing 70mph;)

Just a small point but YOU would be driving illegally;)

Speed demons you lot :D

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Leo182 on 17 May 2004

Erm.. wouldnt that mean you were breaking the speed limit on the assumption of course that the car infront was doing 70mph;)

Just a small point but YOU would be driving illegally;)

Speed demons you lot :D
My choice...

Flashing a car is an approved method of making other road users aware of your car, its in the highway code, whether or not the other driver decides to interpret that as a move get out of my way is another thing.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

if im doin 70-80 in the driving lane and approach a car in the middle lane doing 60-70 ill just stay as i am! end of the day they shouldnt be sat in the overtaking lane when the driving lane is clear.

i drive 90% of the time in the outsdie lane, but if the inside lanes are clear i will move acfross, but will not move into the middle land fior a few mins and then back out again

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Quote: Originally posted by NickyB on 17 May 2004
[/QUOTE]My choice...

Bad boy:D

There is no such thing as a fast lane. Speed limit on a motorway is the same for all 2, 3 or 4 lanes (how ever many it has). Im assuming you mean, if the overtaking lane is being hogged by a BMW driver who has no idea of lane disiplin (sp?).?

Highway code says that once you have overtaken the car infront of you, you must return to the inside lane when it is safe to do so, like when they are clear! It makes me laugh when you see cars joining the motorway and dive straight for the outside lane! Unfortunatly the Police are far more interested in making money off of speed cameras than putting more cop cars out on the road to catch the bad drivers that actually cause the accidents! Still, as long as they get there money and carry on doing a great job keeping all the crime off the streets then who cares!!! Fcuking muppets the lot of them! The Police force is more of a business now, rather than there to protect you!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Ive never flashed anyone on the motorway. Lets face it, the majority of the time, traffic is an issue, and if you get past the car in front, youll only get stuck behind the car in front of him. So what have you gained? Maybe 20 car lengths or so. Is that really going to make a difference to your journey time? Not really. If arriving 1 minute earlier is that important to you...why not leave 1 minute earlier?

Having said that, flashing is a legitimate way of alerting other road users to your presence...but to me it just says "Im impatient". Also, as far as Im concerned, a large proportion of the problems on our roads, be it safety, accidents, congestion etc. are caused by impatience.

So what if it takes longer to get where Im going...it means I get to enjoy the thrill of driving my Cup that little bit longer :D

Ill normally site behind them not on there arse but at a decent distance.

I dont really flash cars at all, its when some b*****d is sitting up my arse (when im a safe distance) behind the car in front that annoys me and i will undertake sometimes.

Ive only done it a few times as its a last resort as normally the car will move in to the left lane.

Undertaking is dodgy in case they decide to move as well when you going past.

Ill undertake but only if theyve been sitting in the outside lane for ages and they know im there. Cant say ive ever flashed anyone up though, think its a bit rude, ill try and wait basically.

I hate people who think because theyre doing the limit so no one else should go over it..petty.

-Rob

Whats even funnier, is when its late at night and you come up behind a car sitting in the middle lane without any other cars in site! Im mean, are they really that stupid not to know to drive on the inside?!

I just trundle past about 1mph faster than them on the inside giving them the "Are you thick or what" look!! :p

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 17 May 2004

Ill undertake but only if theyve been sitting in the outside lane for ages and they know im there. Cant say ive ever flashed anyone up though, think its a bit rude, ill try and wait basically.

I hate people who think because theyre doing the limit so no one else should go over it..petty.

-Rob
Rob, behave. You get over taken by girls on micro sccoters with bunchies in their hair.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

isnt a law that you must not undertake unless the traffic on the outside is moving slower than you are and that your not breaking the speed limit.

i.e if some asshole is sat doin 60 in the middle lane and ur doing a steady 70 in the driving lane there is not problem with you undertaking???

insignia

I dont usually flash coz u can tell straight away if theyve seen u when u see them peering in their mirror, if they dont move over then i undertake.im not riskin no-ones life,its safe and makes me feel like im in America.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 17 May 2004

isnt a law that you must not undertake unless the traffic on the outside is moving slower than you are and that your not breaking the speed limit.

i.e if some asshole is sat doin 60 in the middle lane and ur doing a steady 70 in the driving lane there is not problem with you undertaking???
thats what ive always known be right.....its like, u can only use the right hand lane at a roundabouts to go straight on, IF the road ahead is a dual carriageway or the left hand lane is very busy....i hate f88kers that go in the right hand lane and go straight on at roundabouts when theyre not supposed to....sorry gone off subject there.........but yes Adam youre right.....and i havent ever flashed anyone to get out of my way before.....only flashed to let people out OR say thank you OR say w88ker by flashing several times when ive been cut-up!!

I hate the assholes who join the Motorway and imeadiatly(sp)move into the middle lane when the driving lane is clear.Usualy older people or rep types who have no idea.

Ive seen me sitting behind people in the outside lane at a safe distance,when the rest of the lanes are clear for miles and miles until they decide to have a glance in their mirror and actually notice me.It just shows you how unaware people are when driving.

Other times i usually abuse them as i pass or undertake them and i WILL use the hard shoulder where i feel appropriate;)

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

when u look in at them (while mouthin off and gesturing) there usually welded to the steering wheel holdin on 4 dear life! WTF its a straight bit of road!

some even have the cheek to flash u if u undertake them, which tends to result in my brakes being applied :devilish:

I hope none of you lot expect someone to slow down, move over, let you past then speed up to the speed they want and move out again. Cause I get that alot, mainly from Audis or any big car really.

I dont see why undertaking could be dangerous, anyone who changes lanes without looking first is a moron anyway :eek:

RB Clio 182

I hate people who undertake me. Its so reckless and immature.

To really p*** them off I find if you move over into the left hand lane before they get up behind you they have to overtake on the right! HA! That will teach them! If your old or drive a bmw its obviously a hard trick to learn but the results speak for themselves, go on give it a try!

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by jabba the slut on 17 May 2004

when u look in at them (while mouthin off and gesturing) there usually welded to the steering wheel holdin on 4 dear life! WTF its a straight bit of road!

some even have the cheek to flash u if u undertake them, which tends to result in my brakes being applied :devilish:
Snap!

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

Quote: Originally posted by maaaaaartin on 17 May 2004

To really p*** them off I find if you move over into the left hand lane before they get up behind you they have to overtake on the right! HA! That will teach them! If your old or drive a bmw its obviously a hard trick to learn but the results speak for themselves, go on give it a try!

why dont u try movin over in the first place??

Mr2 Roadster

Snap! lol

insignia

basically if im annoyed by another driver for their own purpose i give them sams play. Involves me putting on a favourite tune to get me in the mood and the fun starts. I feel better coz i dont feel annoyed no more and they do.

RB Clio 182

Now wheres the fun in that?! ;)

I read in a advanced driving book that you should signal as if to overtake them and if they dont pull over to try a flash of the lights, undertaking however wasnt recommended!

If some one is driving in the middle lane when the driving lane is clear and I want to overtake them I do make a show of overtaking them and then pulling back into the driving lane they dont relise though!

Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Barryd on 17 May 2004

I just trundle past about 1mph faster than them on the inside giving them the "Are you thick or what" look!! :p
Quality!!! Im a master at giving that look, love it!

Mazda MX5 1.8

i dont see the problem with sitting in the middle lane when no1 is around - i drove most of the way to london and around the ring road in the middle lane thro the night as it was only lorries and speeding motorists who can go in the fast lane anyway - plus the slow lane gets cut up by lorries and is more bumpy generally

every1 just needs to take a chill pill..... im sure ur life isnt THAT important that u need to race everywhere and risk urs (and other peoples) lives to get past them

if people wanna cut me up on the motorway so be it......... no skin off my nose & wont alter my driving what so ever

But then im entitled to my own opinion

have to agree with politely flashing some1 to move outta the fast lane tho as ud be a prat to undertake (again IMO)

[Edited by clio__chris on 17 May 2004 at 5:40pm]

I drive trucks so everyone with no lane discipline annoys me:mad:

I stay in the driving lane if clear if people want to sit in the middle lane thats upto them ill undertake whatever im driving

Danny