ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat screen tellys out of date!!

E90
I just heard something on Radio one news about 40% or plasmas and lcd's not being HD compatible and out of date in a few years, Anyone have one of these?? and how much did you pay? and....

nelson_ha_ha-736536.jpg

E90
By the sounds of it, it sounded like they wouldn't work or something, only caught a bit of it, I mean the moment its in the shops theres a new version on its way, so i doubt that would be on the news. If I had to replace a tv i payed 2000 quid for i'd be p.issed, LOL

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I have the Panasonic TH42PX60 IIRC. Its apparently HD compatible, but are you implying that it might actually not be HD compatible, or do you mean people who have bought LCDs and Plasmas that arent HD compatible will be out of date in a few years?
Mine better f*cking had be compatible.

E90
Summat like that geezer, Although it was a vague headline, and i cant find it on the bbc website, so fook knows.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hmm, well the XBox360 at Chrimbo should put that question to bed. I'll be reet pissed if its not HD compatible. Paid £1500 for it as it is, and only found out last week that its now £400 less. What a wonderful world we live in. You say my jokes aren't amusing. Well this one certainly wasnt. Phoned up to complain, but there's nothing they can do.

172 Cup (2003)
Theres a slight difference between 'HD Ready' and 'HD Compatable' i beleive.

Also, it depends if the TV is able to receive Hi Def TV signals over the air (HDTV) which i'm assuming is if they have an integrated Digital Tuner.

If you're relying on your HDMI slot to provide you with TV, you'll be needing SkyHD or Telewest TV Drive (plus subscription). Unless when they start HD on Freeview (Which is already on trial) someone releases an HDMI Set Top Box.

All this is my opinion only, feel free to correct me if anyone knows different.

it was saying that alot of tv's that arnt actually fully hd ready ie hdmi and 720 or 1080 wont be worth anything soon enough

A4 Avant
Scutch, Don't worry your telly is HD Ready! I think what Radio 1 are saying is that in the future there shall be new standards such as 1080p that your TV can't display as a native resolution. It can downscale the signal though so your TV can display it!

Your telly shall still more than likely display future resolutions it's just that they may not look quite as good! A bit like showing SD on a current HD TV.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Just ignore weeman, he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. If my TV lasts me 3/4 years i'll be more than happy.

Dirty E91
The report was about the fact that people have been buying plasma and LCD TVs that aren't HD ready when they aren't. Basically.

Some guy came on and said just make sure it has the HD ready logo.

172 cup TT
Hmm just checked, it was future proofed and only came with an HD-out wire.. Never been able to use it all my life since the 80s - cant wait to load"" my first E90 :)

Yaris Hybrid
There was a thread about this a while ago. Some guy here had bought a Philips LCD TV which wasn't HD Ready even though the website was misleading and kind of implied that it was.

The story is about that kind of thing. I know a number of people that have LCD/Plasma TV's that are not HD Ready. Some of them are no more than 2 years old.

On some you couldn't even play an Xbox 360 as they have no HD connectors but with others the issue is related to HDMI and HDCP which rules out Sky or Cable HD Television.