ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat spot on turbo car

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a quick search prior but couldn't find anything useful, i've also asked elsewhere on Facebook but thought what the heck - why not bother everyone on here as well.

My car has developed an annoying flatspot at around 5k when under full load in 3rd and 4th. There's a dip in power for a split second before it returns. I've spoken to the guys who did the conversion who are going to take a look but that won't be until the 6th and I was planning on going to French Car show next weekend!

The first time this happened was on track after a few all out laps at Brands when the car suffered a huge misfire and loss of power in 4th at about 100 before all the power returned a few moments later. Instructor at the time told me it was fuel pump related because of the long straight, but the issue persists on the road.

The car also feels hesitant to accelerate and not as linear, e.g. pulling away from a junction there's more travel in the throttle before I get any power and I feel as if the car has to work harder, almost like it's making more of a whirring noise than normal. It also occasionally pops although this seems random as i've driven it again today and it didn't do it once but the exhaust is noticeably louder or more blowy and idle is a little rough - car still drives ok by 'normal' car standards but doesn't feel much of a hot hatch right now.

I'm not sure if it's injectors but I can possibly rule out spark plugs, ht leads and coil pack as all of these are relatively new. Are there any sensors that could be at fault?

I'm only asking as i've purchased tickets to the show months ago and will be out of pocket if I don't go. But if doing a 370 mile round trip at a leisurely pace means a knackered engine at the end of it then I know which one i'll pick.

RB Clio 182
Check your map sensor o rings, make sure your sensor is tight.

Make sure all your turbo/manifold bolts are tight.

Make sure your inlet is bolted down properly.

Also dont rule out coil pack, plugs and leads just because they are relatively new.

RB Clio 182
Sound advice. Thank you @Christ Almighty

No worries mate, all those mentioned have given me a miss fire in the past since the car has been turbocharged.

When my turbo/manifold bolts were loose, it caused quite a big air leak fouling my plugs causing it to run s**t, the plugs were all coked up, must have been over fueling like mad.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Can't remember if I said before but it could be the lambda. Both of my clios occasionally popped when the lambda started to go. Unplug it and take it for a drive to see if there's a difference.
If you think it's the injectors you need to test their resistance when they're stone cold, even after a few hours of not driving the reading still wont be accurate, leave it over night. Check they are all a similar resistance, are the aftermarket ED ones or meg ones?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
No worries mate, all those mentioned have given me a miss fire in the past since the car has been turbocharged.

When my turbo/manifold bolts were loose, it caused quite a big air leak fouling my plugs causing it to run s**t, the plugs were all coked up, must have been over fueling like mad.

Nothing looks that loose down the back but i'll bare this in mind. Very kindly Alex who works over at ED has said he'd have a look at it for me tomorrow so i'll update on here if we find the source of the problem.
Can't remember if I said before but it could be the lambda. Both of my clios occasionally popped when the lambda started to go. Unplug it and take it for a drive to see if there's a difference.
If you think it's the injectors you need to test their resistance when they're stone cold, even after a few hours of not driving the reading still wont be accurate, leave it over night. Check they are all a similar resistance, are the aftermarket ED ones or meg ones?

Cheers Graham I'm going to check the Lambda tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I think the injectors are aftermarket ED 480cc ones but luckily Alex who works with them is going to check the car over tomorrow and he's got spares so fingers crossed.

Cheers guys

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
A 60 mile trip up to see Alex today and the car seemed fine upon arriving. It's almost as if a long run on the motorway actually improved the car. It's not been on the motorway in about 5 months.

Alex drove the car himself for quite a while trying to get it to have the flatspot, pop or even misfire under load and... nothing. Diagnostics showed no issues either, he even checked the lambda. On the drive home I took the car down some local B roads and it feels spot on now. Very strange.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Could have just been one of those things mate, hope it doesn't come back.
Cheers pal, fingers crossed!
Bad fuel? Guessing you put some in today?
It could have been. I let the car run right down to nothing before filling up yesterday and the problem persisted after but perhaps it just took a while to clear. I always fill up from the same shell garage with V Power though. I won't run it down until the fuel light comes on again lol