ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flexing cat

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I'm not sure if this is just normal, but wanted to check. Since my exhaust is going to be replaced soon due to falling to bits and blowing in numerous places, I looked under the car to see how far gone it was and noticed the cat moves quite a lot when revving, not necessarily high revs either, up to 3k. The engine mounts feel relatively solid if I try to rock the engine, but tbh I don't have a clue how they should feel!

Just wondered is this a sign of engine mounts going? I'm up at Uni but my dads a mechanic so wanted to know if I should order some parts for him to fit when I'm next home (I pay him with beer).

Cheers

Mk2 Ph2 1.2
lol-cat-flexing-biceps.jpg

amidoinitright?

Clio 197
Our right something doesn't sound right, you shouldnt be getting massive amounts of movement from the exhuast when revving (obviously it moves a bit because the engine moves)

Have you rocked your engine from the bay the check your mounts ?

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Yeah I've rocked it and it doesn't rock stupidly easily, but it will move with only a small amount of effort. What should it do? Should I be getting no movement at all if I try and rock it myself?

The cars done 79000 miles and I assume hasn't seen bushes and mounts changed for a while so might be worth investing in some news parts, just wondering which are the most appropriate for this?

Clio 197
Yeah I've rocked it and it doesn't rock stupidly easily, but it will move with only a small amount of effort. What should it do? Should I be getting no movement at all if I try and rock it myself?

You should be getting some movement as they are designed to move, how much exactly i am not sure. When fitting my exhaust i had problems with fitment and thought a buggered engine mount was the cause of the problem as there was movement. The only way i ruled it out (un-scientifically) was to have a look at another members on here with the same exhaust and check the degree of movement in theirs.

Have a visual check of the upper engine mount (top left on engine) and the gearbox dog bone and one under the battery - hopefully it will be easy to see if they are badly perished.

The cars done 79000 miles and I assume hasn't seen bushes and mounts changed for a while so might be worth investing in some news parts, just wondering which are the most appropriate for this?

I would go for original items, some people complain of excessive vibration in the cabin from uprated dog bone mounts. Cant comment on the uprated upper mounts etc.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Thanks a lot for the help mate! I'll get looking at them and see what (if anything) needs replacing.