ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fog light on dash board when braking/ indicating 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
Happy Christmas to everyone hope everyone had a good one !!

I know this is a common issuejust wanted to share what I have tried.

I have cleaned all the bulbs and connectors in the bulb casing and all connectors in the plug part, I then moved onto the earthing points under the lights removing cleaning ect. The problem is still there.

I noticed the connectors in the plug on the drivers side are heavily corroded despite a good clean with electrical connector cleaner they are still rusty. I am hoping this is the issue.

I have purchased some 172 rear lights off eBay and fingers crossed when I swap the innerbulb cluster this will disappear as it’s mega annoying altho the bulbs lights ect are functioning fine.

have I missed anything guys ?

thanks

mark

I noticed the connectors in the plug on the drivers side are heavily corroded despite a good clean with electrical connector cleaner they are still rusty. I am hoping this is the issue

Had this on the drivers side of my 172 cup a few months back, it'll definitely be that if they are still rusty. I had to use some wet and dry on a couple of the terminals to completely remove all the corrosion as a quick clean did nothing.

Once I'd done that the fog light bulb stopped lighting up under braking.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks lads my clean didn’t help but there is corroded points so hopefully these 172 lights I got will be better when they arrive and just change the bulb casing failing that will try some wet and dry

Clio 172 Cup
Evening all so I think the problem lies a bit deeper , I did an elemination test and unplugged a side at a time to see if I could identify which side is causing the issue.

And guess what it happens with either side disconnected 🙈

my basic knowledge has ran out now

any ideas ?

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate I have done everything rear light wise and wet flatted corroded points , haven’t looked at fuse box side of things though ?

Clio 172 Cup
Some one else said they had swapped bulbs and it cured it will be gutted if it’s that lmao 😂 it’s just weird how if I disconnect the plugs it still happens 🤷‍♀️

Clio 172 Cup
Just an update guys this in the end was the inner bulb casing on the light on the passenger side, got some cheap 172 lights off eBay and just swapped the inner casing over !!! And it’s worked 😬

Renault Clio RS 182
Just want to revive this. I've something similar happening with my 182. The fog light indicator flickers on the dash when I apply the brakes. The rear brake lights illuminate fine when the brakes are pressed and the fog light at the rear doesn't appear to illuminate/flicker... just on the dash. Is that what people are experiencing or does the fog light at the rear come on too ? I'm going to start the diagonistics process by unplugging stuff to see what side of the car is causing the problem etc..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Your nearside rear wiring plug will be bent on the terminals. Remove the cluster that side and bend the pins back together so they make a good contact. Mine did this last week and easy fix. When braking all lights on rear work fine, but you'll find when you indicate left it'll look like Blackpool illuminations

Renault Clio RS 182
OK... just thought I'd follow up on where I got to with this in case anyone runs into similar trouble in the future.

This is happens when you've poor connectivity to, or in, the rear light clusters. It's a very common problem on Clio 2s. Remember that buying a replacement s/h light cluster from eBay may not solve your problem as the part may have similar problems to your own.

Four possible locations to investigate [in most likely order] :

o Faulty bulb.
- The most likely faulty bulb is the bottom [brake light bulb]
- Replace and test.

o Connection between the bulb and the bulb holder.
- The metal in the bulb holder becomes corroded, so too do the bulb terminals. Remove the bulb holder from the car and each bulb from the holder. Using sandpaper and a a flat head screwdriver, clean the terminals on each of the receptacles that hold each bulb. Some you can do with the sandpaper, some you'll need to scrape with the screwdriver to expose clean metal. The metal's soft, so it's quite easy.
- Using the sandpaper, sand down the terminals on the bulbs themselves to expose clean metal.
- Reassemble and test.

o Connection between the wiring harness and the bulb holder.
- Same thing here. The metal on the terminals becomes corroded.
- Using a small flathead screwdriver, scrap the metal on the mail end [bulb holder] and female end [wiring harness] to expose clean metal. The wiring harness can be fiddly but I found using flat head precision screwdriver did the trick.
- Reassemble and test.

o Earth connection from wiring harness to the rear panel in the car.
- Unbolt this [location and access instructions in the vids below].
- Sand clean the male surface in the car and do the same for the ring.
- Reassemble and test.

I found the two vids below helpful in terms of locations and diagnostics procedures.

The light plastic [lens] and bulb holder are a single part with one part number, however lots of eBay sellers sell them separately. The bulb holder part is the same for any Clio 2. It doesn't have to be a 172/182.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Clio R.S 182 FF
OK... just thought I'd follow up on where I got to with this in case anyone runs into similar trouble in the future.

This is happens when you've poor connectivity to, or in, the rear light clusters. It's a very common problem on Clio 2s. Remember that buying a replacement s/h light cluster from eBay may not solve your problem as the part may have similar problems to your own.

Four possible locations to investigate [in most likely order] :

o Faulty bulb.
- The most likely faulty bulb is the bottom [brake light bulb]
- Replace and test.

o Connection between the bulb and the bulb holder.
- The metal in the bulb holder becomes corroded, so too do the bulb terminals. Remove the bulb holder from the car and each bulb from the holder. Using sandpaper and a a flat head screwdriver, clean the terminals on each of the receptacles that hold each bulb. Some you can do with the sandpaper, some you'll need to scrape with the screwdriver to expose clean metal. The metal's soft, so it's quite easy.
- Using the sandpaper, sand down the terminals on the bulbs themselves to expose clean metal.
- Reassemble and test.

o Connection between the wiring harness and the bulb holder.
- Same thing here. The metal on the terminals becomes corroded.
- Using a small flathead screwdriver, scrap the metal on the mail end [bulb holder] and female end [wiring harness] to expose clean metal. The wiring harness can be fiddly but I found using flat head precision screwdriver did the trick.
- Reassemble and test.

o Earth connection from wiring harness to the rear panel in the car.
- Unbolt this [location and access instructions in the vids below].
- Sand clean the male surface in the car and do the same for the ring.
- Reassemble and test.

I found the two vids below helpful in terms of locations and diagnostics procedures.

The light plastic [lens] and bulb holder are a single part with one part number, however lots of eBay sellers sell them separately. The bulb holder part is the same for any Clio 2. It doesn't have to be a 172/182.

Vid 1

Vid 2
Just by coincidence I had this fault in my 182 back in December and managed to do a video of myself fault diagnosing the problem. I’ve only just posted the video on my YT channel. Hope it helps. There’s a link here ....

Renault Clio RS 182
Great vid ! Hopefully with my written procedure and your vid... anyone who encounters this problem in future will have some good stuff to get started with :)