ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fogs!!!!!!!

Megane 225 Cup
if im on a country lane at night ill have them on.. it gives better light, but for round town theres no point in using them..

Plus they are very bright and whoever you are following cant see anything....?!!?

I think its a boy racer thing. it does look kinda sporty.. but u will get pulled for it

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
There is more glare from zenons than there is from fogs......! I say ban Zenons...........

Without sounding anal, its against the law to use front or rear fog lights unless there is seriously reduced visibility, defined as less than 100 yards. The penalty for this is a £30 non endorsable fine!

As for using them in the rain, prob worst situation to use them with cos they are so low (the restrictions on fogs are to do with their placement relative to the road rather than power of the beam), and when the road surface is wet the light 'blankets' the road as they are only inches from the surface, which can sometimes cause a nasty dazzling effect (like the pain in the arse that is driving on a wet road with the sun shining on it).

So thats that.

Often see bmw drivers and 4x4 drivers with them on around here. Beemers have them on so you can see the angel eyes perfectly, and 4x4's so they can blind you with the fogs as they're badly positioned.

zenons on landdrovers are annoying too, when they're coming towards me I can't see a thing as they're eye-height. I flash them as it looks like they've got main beam on, only to find out when they flash back, it's just their standard ill fitted lights

LY182/NHB CTR
you get a load of idiots by by me doing it too usually boy/girl racer thing or just pple that havent got a clue on what the switches do on their car..

Williams025 is right £30 fine or at worse someone driving into them coz they are blinded by the light lol

Why don't they do on 4x4's what they did with the Rols Royce Phantom. The dipped beam doesn't come from from the 'main' headlights, it's actually from the ones set lower in the grill. The big main headlights are only used for full beam. That way it doesn't dazzle people despite being about 12 foot tall. Well, almost...

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I actually do think Xenons should be banned, the amount I'm blinded by them sometimes is ridiculous.

Clio 172 mk2
I wouldn't of thought Xenons aould be that bad if properly adjusted.

As for the fogs..well, unless it's foggy just turn the f**kers off.

ant

yep.
Dave3141 said:
I've got no fogs at the moment, the garage forgot to reconnect them when my bumper was removed. doh!

just one connection mate, remove n/side arch liner and plug it back in - 5 mins.

ant

yep.
check your screen washer jets too cos if they've forgot the fogs chances are they've forgot to plug them back in too!

Ibiza Cupra TDI
jayxx83 said:
Has anyone had someone get out of their car and start on you becaue they think you are flashing them (Xenons on 182). The amount of people who put their rear fogs on, pull up to you at lights and shout profanities such as "turn your f**king high beams off", or let you go past then whack on their high beams! Some times u just want to turn them off, but then how are you meant to see?

Always get people puttin there high beams on or flashin!! Even had this from people drivin with fog lights on!!

Don't understand the Fogs and side lights thing, maybe it gives u more BHP??

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
They are all t***s, every single one that has them on un-nessecarily. Should have their fogs smashed.

I personally don't drive with them on, sometimes use them on totally dead roads the same way you use high-beam (unlit motorways at 3am) but I don't see what the big fuss is all about! I have never felt blinded by someone driving with fogs on... I would rather have that than the old grampas that are half asleep driving with full beam on blinding you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TDI tyre shreader
I like to blind the c**k wanks that do this with a Xenon/FULL beam/driving lights combo

Monaro VXR
Theres no need in them there really not that good even in fog either. Then again if its foggy dipped beam and a slow steady pace and you dont need to worry unfortunately i cant turn on my rears without turning on my fronts first.

But even in fog they make no difference from what i could see they illuminate a bit more to the side but thats about it.

There just stuck on for looks there bloody useless and they dont even look that good would rather see a couple cold air feeds there instead.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I dont mind them...its the rear fogs that pi55 me off..they should be banned!!!!
Also people that think the barrier on cabbage ways and motorways means its ok to use full beam even tho cars are comming the other way!

Civic Si
not sure if someones already said this because i havent read all the posts...

it's actually illegal to use your fog lights and headlights unless its foggy..

but technically if you've only got your side lights and fog lights on it's perfectly legit, the police cant do anything to stop you. it's supposedly no brighter than just headlights..

RB 200 Cup!
my older bro drives his corsa round with fogs on even in day time - i always think what a t**t why bother - fog lights are for when its foggy!!!!!!

The whole idea of fog lights is that that cut along the road, below the fog, and light the catseyes and kerb/verges. The reason the fronts come on first is because the rear fog light is only to be used to warn people you are there, the minute there is someone behind you you should turn your rear fog off so as not to blind them.

I've used my front fogs in rain on unlit motorway/dual carriageway when the spray being kicked up by the other cars meant I couldn't clearly see the standing water....

Other than that it is illegal to use your foglights unless driving in reduced visibility. Given that technically reduced visibility = reduced speed they could connect a speed limit to the fog lights......fog lights on = 40MPH

Clown Car
Car manufacturers develop new improved headlights eg- xenon, just so muppets can switch them off and drive around with just there front fogs on, it makes me chuckle to think someone has paid extra for xenons then switches them off and instead uses front fogs, and i have seen them doing it.

1998 BMW e46 323i
makavelli said:
tbh honest tho i never use mine cos of the autolights :D
you cant turn them on when the autolights are activated

if you turn the two bands on the lighting stalk you can use the fog lights... but just don't forget they're on. :banghead:

Black Gold 182
I remember in high school everyone used to do it, even me :S
it was a thing to do around sunset as it gets dark or whenever u weren't driving on a road or highway. but of course fogs were on with sidelights, not regular beams.

I think it was just the idea that it gives the car a nicer look from far (Audis, WRX). Most ppl never drive in foggy conditions so they want to use them somehow :eek:

E36 323i coupe
admob said:
what is it with the current TREND to have your lights on half beam and to have your fogs on at the same time at night time!!! i see this more and more and it is the most bizarre thing, in normal conditions fogs do not light up the road more than ten yards, about the same as half strength head lights, so in effect the driver has no vision really except street lights.. is it some fashion thing? like wearing a big scarf with just a skinny t-shirt on a cold day.. i would like to see what these drivers do when they pull off the main high way onto a country lane.. the main lights will be quickly turned on!

MUPPETS!!!

ps i have seen many clios do this.. if there is anyone on this sight who does this regularly can u explain why. i am baffled..

rant over...

It's an ever increasing problem. I find that offering them the choice between a £30 ticket and switching them off tends to work.

Turbos.
I admit when i first started driving i had my fogs on all the time! I thought it looked cooler and ultimately thats all you care about at 17!

Hopefully its something all kids grow out of ;)

E36 323i coupe
iarno said:
but technically if you've only got your side lights and fog lights on it's perfectly legit, the police cant do anything to stop you. it's supposedly no brighter than just headlights..

Rubbish - where have you got that from?

iarno said:

The bit about side lights and fogs - totally not true, where did you get this idea from???? With only side lights and fogs, you are actually committing two offences. It is illegal to use fog ligjhts unless there is seriously reduced visibility (less than 100 metres), full stop. And if the conditions are so bad you need to use your fogs, you should have your main beams on. In addition, driving after 'lighting up time' (the designated times where street lights are switched on) without main beams on you also commit an offence. So driving with fogs and sidelights after lighting up time = 2 offences!!

Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarno

The bit about side lights and fogs - totally not true, where did you get this idea from???? With only side lights and fogs, you are actually committing two offences. It is illegal to use fog ligjhts unless there is seriously reduced visibility (less than 100 metres), full stop. And if the conditions are so bad you need to use your fogs, you should have your main beams on. In addition, driving after 'lighting up time' (the designated times where street lights are switched on) without main beams on you also commit an offence. So driving with fogs and sidelights after lighting up time = 2 offences!!

got that bit of info from my local police!!!
got pulled for having fog lights on, harsh considering i'd just come through fog but to be fair it had lifted a bit...
some other car drove past with just his sidelights and fogs and he said that was perfectly legit!! :S

iarno said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarno

got that bit of info from my local police!!!
got pulled for having fog lights on, harsh considering i'd just come through fog but to be fair it had lifted a bit...
some other car drove past with just his sidelights and fogs and he said that was perfectly legit!! :S

Take it from me (and others will confirm this) its not legit! Fog lights on. No fog. £30 non endorsable fine to you sir! Other lights on the vehicle will not be taken into consideration (unless they are broken, and that'll make things worse!)

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Williams025 said:

you can drive with sidelights on in lit built up areas

lighting requirements in highway code http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/08.htm#93

oh and the police do f**k all about fogs round here!

Last edited: