ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Footwell lighting

Non Sport Megane
Really want 'footwell lighting' but not too sure where to source all the bits and bobs from?
tried doing a search on here, but couldnt find anything of any real relavence for what i want
if anyones done this, id greatly appreciated some pictures!
and also where you sourced the parts from!!

regards

michael

clio 5door sport rep
I'm doing this soon aswell. was going to take power from the cigarette lighter and put a switch in

I did it years ago in an Astra.

Run wire from the main interior light, under the headlining, down the a pillar trims so its behind the dash then put the lights where you want them

It looked light footwell lighting! I got rid of the car in 2006 so we're talking a long time ago, I dont have pictures.

It really is as simple as I said, they're 12v and dont draw a lot of current so can just be connected to the interior lights. Hiding the wires is easy, the difficult bit is finding somewhere to secure them under the dash.

I have a few cold cathodes laying around and wouldn't mind trying this, how would you go about wiring it so it comes on with the interior lights but there's also a switch to turn them on whilst driving?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Wire them to the dash lighting? That way they'll come on with the sidelights. (although it means you have to turn the sidelights on to see your feet!)

Another way would be to have a 3 way rocker switch - On (power from interior light), Sidelights (as above), Off.

Personally I'd have just one fairly big white LED in each footwell - when it's too bright it's slightly distracting.

I'd personally wire them to my dipped beams switch on the steering wheel on the stalk like I have done with my speaker lights (yes I put red LEDs behind my speaker grill ) looks funny like my speakers are on fire

Nick

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
got a feeling that i am to,going to have to have a go at putting leds in my speaker grills and under dash lighting :)

altho imo i might put in a 12v step up/step down transformer in so i can adjust the intensity of the light out put

1.2 Mk2 Ph2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310356536040

Those are probably best to use, cheap, easy to fit and not too bright but bright enough ;)

Fitted mine in about 10 minutes... there's 2 wires on them (live and earth), best place is the cigarette lighter light (so they only come on when ur side lights are on) and they come with a switch so u can turn them off :)

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
I did this with an old almera, i had 8 blue leds in each footwell (halfrauds strip jobby) I loved it and wired it into my cigarette lighter! Why do you want the lights on the day anyway, you wouldnt see it! Connect it to your cig lighter it way easier!

MK2 Clio
I put a guide up once, cant find link...

You wire a positive from the interior light, then there are 2 negitives, one for when door is open and one is perm, then you can put a break before make switch in, then you can have them on whenever or to work with the doors.

Just because I can tease...

How the are fitted (I would advise 2 more they aren't all that bright enough to illuminate the whole footwell) I have lost one inside the door card too which I hadn't noticed lol... Super glue next time ;)

IMG_1431.jpg

Wired into the Sidelights on my Window Switch... When the switch lights up so does the LED's

IMG_1432.jpg

Another Shot

IMG_1433.jpg

With side lights on...

IMG_1434.jpg

You will have to wait for night time to see them at night ;)

Nick

Y not join a wire to the cig light in the car then add a switch simple :)

It's just how I wanted it lol. I genuinely couldn't be bothered running a wired through to the cig lighter when I have a perfectly good power source from the window switch.

I also wanted them to only come on with the side lights so it made more sense lol.

Nick

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I bought 2 blue 12v LED Tubes from Maplins for mine; wired through the pillars and headlining into the interior light :)
23.jpg

clio 1.2 16v campus
i had blue xeons in my footwells i wired them in with a switch straight to the battery worked fine