ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forged Engine on eBay?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would use it as a daily. I don't do track as yet:)

You generally want to warm up forged piston engines as they expand with heat.

Short journeys as a daily can cause wear and oil blow-by.

See how it sounds when you start it up, sometimes get a rattle noise from piston slap (but that's usually on boosted setups with bigger clearances)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I think its worth a look. It could be a good buy at £4,200 ish.

Don't know much about forged engines. Anything else I should be on the look out for?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for signs the original forged engine wasn't ripped out and a stock replacement stuffed in it's place.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I'll be going through the service history with a fine toothed comb, that's for sure:)

Although from the advert there is no evidence of belts having been done recently.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This car appeared on the forum under a previous owner

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This car appeared on the forum under a previous owner

Nice fine

The old owner in that thread @lewisredfern001 appears to have been online last month too.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I think I'll do a little more research on "Forged engines". It will be used as a daily, but I do fancy a little more power:)

green

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Hi comp phase 1
I’ve had my forged engine since 2012. Admittedly it isn’t a daily but I track it and drive it hard every time I go out in it. Never had any problems in all those years apart from replacing injectors.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
  Defender 110
Likewise. I had a forged engine in my VXR. I think I did about 30,000 miles without any issues. Daily use.

As long as they have the right oil and are warmed up, there’s no issues.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  T.Turbo
Warm up is pretty essential to keep them right. My Kangoo engine has an old set of cosworth pistons in that are slappy from cold and needs a good 15 mins warmup on the drive, and it uses a bit of oil due to larger piston to wall clearance when cold. Ive reckoned up that its done 25-30k and has had a fair bit of hard use from the previous owner, so cant guarantee how long it will last.

They just need treating with a bit of sympathy which can be a ballache for every day use. If you like jumping in from cold and driving a couple of miles at a time then its not doing it any favours, where a stock cast piston wouldnt be too bothered with shorter journeys.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  HK52 VLW 172 Cup
@Brigsy

I use the car as a daily, get in and go, short journeys now and again, but always make sure I've warmed it up properly before approaching 5k rpm. So I'm a little sympathetic to the engine, but I think nursing a forged unit would get old pretty quickly.

Didn't go and look at the car in the end, as they guy has no history for any belts or suspension work done, but seemed genuine and knowledgeable. Saying it was a nice drive etc But I think it would need belts and a suspension refresh which I've already done to the Cup I have now.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above - don't waste your money on the forged engine mate - speaking from experience having gone through several of them (including a high-comp, forged build, etc.) Just not worth the hassle for a daily.