ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Formating the PC - Keep Xp or Buy Vista ?

Shed.
Gunna format the compy. Ive got a legal copy of xp which i am running right now and i will be reinstalling it sometime soon as the pc is full of s**t, such as p**n, and viruses. But im thinking is it worth installing vista home premium ?

IF i buy vista i will be buying a WD Passport, a portable desktop drive (120GB) to store my s**t on.

So i can wait untill vista arrives or i can reinstall XP. I have the trial still on disk, but i cant remember it all that well. Is it worth having or is the compatability shite on it, ie. wont i be able to install new games. whats the software compatability like ? etc etc ??????

I have a 2.2GHZ AMD Athlon 64 3500+, XFX 7900GTX 675M with 512 megs of Ram and 2GB of corsair XMS Platimum ram. Got a big ass montor, a good soundcard and a very good motherboard. Should run smoothly yea ?

XP OR VISTA ?

172 Cup
Vista

If you're paranoid, think little green men exist or believe everything the old guy in the local tells you get XP. If you want to be "different" get Linux.

FN2 Type R GT
xp as vista still has many teething problems, wait a year until everything is available on vista then change!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
xp.

i gave vista another go and it was slowwww

im building a daddy spec pc soon though, i may give it another go!

T

thecremeegg

vista is good for office etc, shocking for games. i've had to go back to dual boot xp and vista as half my games dont run or crash...very poor tbh

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
XP, i've been using Vista for a few months now and it becomes very slow and a pain in the arse, i'll be back on XP as soon as I've got the time. Agree with the game support, shocking!! Hardly any work.

172 Cup
Agree with the game support, shocking!! Hardly any work.

Such as? Something made in 1982?

BF2, BF2142, AOE3, CSS, HL2, Trackmania Nations, Trackmania United, COD2, and a few others that escape my mind all work perfectly for me under Vista.

Punto/Clio GTT
I can't see why anyone would choose XP now over Vista.
Seems crazy.. Heh.

echo.

i always thought vista was buggy and had these teething problems before i tried it.

installed it, perfect, not 1 problem.

i dont think i could go back to xp now

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i only went with xp on my build as i had a legit copy, and vista is quite a bit of wonga for me at present. its like 200 quid isn't it?

so xp for me as it was already there!

want vista though :(

i only went with xp on my build as i had a legit copy, and vista is quite a bit of wonga for me at present. its like 200 quid isn't it?

Ultimate is £130 for OEM, which is OK if you are building a complete new machine.

Shed.

Ultimate is £130 for OEM, which is OK if you are building a complete new machine.

would go for home pre. if i recall ultimate just has the simple extras such as office capabilities. HomePremium would be the choice i would make.

There are mixed opinions here. I may re-install Vista trial, and see if i can get round the activation problem. I can allways format it if i dont like it.

Im getting boared with xp as its so boring, granted there are some good wincustomize themes, but i hate the idea of having a program running in the background. i really dont like it.

Shed.
meh gunna install vista. patched the trial ive got so im gunna try it see if it works or not.

ant find my xp disk.

Cupra

I paid that in Euros for mine! No problems with it aside from a few small minor irritations. The hold 'em game is worth it along. ;)

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Iwas running vista, and was happy with it, until I needed to connect to some NAS. Couldnet get a non brand jobbie working via a samba share, and the SC101 netgear I bought has no support for Vista either. There is a squad of nerds who have written an 80 page guide on how to get it working but TBH, Ive just reinstalled Xp.
Oh and as someone who is a Unix sysadmin by day, I would devinately use Ubuntu, if not for the fact Newsleecher or FM07 are not able to run on Linux (I know I could run it under Wine or a VM, but I cant be bothered with the hassle....)

Shed.
well ive got 2 hard drives. ones for keeping backups. i havent formatted yes as i was fucked last night. so slept instead. im gunna reinstall xp today and then if i get a copy of vista ill check it out on my other hard drive.

Focus ST-2
vista, never had any problems with it.

you can get the home prem oem at ebuyer for £50 if google checkout still give you £10 off.

?
Did you know all copys of vista are the SAME? Its the licence key that determines whether its home,ultimate etc... so if you have home you could reactivate it with an ultimate cd key and get ultimate :)

Shed.
Did you know all copys of vista are the SAME? Its the licence key that determines whether its home,ultimate etc... so if you have home you could reactivate it with an ultimate cd key and get ultimate :)

well someone from here (wont mention name lol) is , might, send me a copy on a dvd and i will crack it. Thats wat he has done. Ive tried the rc1 beta before and it was ok, but there were so many restrictions.

?
I made a dvd copy of my uncles ultimate edition. He bought it through his business or something so the cdkey they get is not specific to only one pc or somthing.. no need to crack, 100% legal copy and 100% free :)

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
XP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vista is nice and works super.

the only real downside is the lack of compatability issues at the moment - espcially for programs i use.

other than that vista is sweet!

BMW M135i
Vista all the way, is a severe lack of decent driver support for older hardware though i've found.

And you can actually buy vista? Wow. :D