ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Formatting a Ext. Hard drive for Pc and Mac?

I've got an external hard drive that i would ideally like to be able to use on both PC and Mac for file transfer

I was originally reading that i just backup my external and then format it as MS DOS... this was on one site...

Now on further reading im confused and because i cant be arsed to trundle through endless threads can anyone guide me?

Is it possible to format it so it works on both?

Running windows atm, do i need to get mac drive? info please!

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just do it FAT32 or NTFS for Windows... OS X isn't bothered by that IIRC.

Windows will however have no idea at all what to do with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format !

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
i think if you format it to fat 32 windows and mac can both read and write to it

I was going to leave the 1tb external NTFS meaning the mac could only write to it..

Then format my small external hard drive on the mac... what format would that be? and i wouldnt be able to add stuff to it on windows would i?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Throw the Windows machine out of the... er.... window. Problem solved ;)

Or split the 1TB into one or two partitions if you're worried...?

I think you're over thinking this TBH dude...

I wish i was over thinking it haha and i cant chuck the windows pc out the window im afraid...

I just needed a way of using the external on both pc and mac...

I think ill leave the 1tb NTFS so the mac can read it only and format the small external to the mac.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
You can get around the Fat32 size limit by downloading some software, not sure if theres any good freeware out there though. You can format the entire drive in Fat32 if needed. But just partition it half NTFS and half Fat32.