ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Formatting an SSD in MBP

I have a macbook pro (non retina)and an ssd drive currently in a windows laptop.

I wish to use the ssd drive in my MBP do I need to format it first or will the MBP sort all that out for me when I fit it?

I have seen this video and it all seems simple but just concerned over whether I need to format it before it goes into the mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfiGF_pjqvM

Many thanks

Ben-

ClioSport Club Member
I think you may need to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before you install it.

EDIT: After watching that video it looks as though you can format it after it's been installed which is a bonus, I ordered mine last week so I'm hoping it gets here soon so I can install it.

Last edited:

Ben-

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished installing mine @Brazo, super easy to do. The longest part was waiting for my time machine back-up to transfer over. I've done a clean install of the OS and the boot up time is crazy now, so much quicker.

Ben-

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't mean much but a quick before and after read & write speeds.

Before
ScreenShot2014-04-13at223550_zps538b5fb6.png

After
ScreenShot2014-04-22at214722_zps1d7cf829.png

Just timed the after start up time, got 13.75 seconds to the login menu. Unfortunately I didn't get a before time recorded but it was at least 40 seconds, massive difference.