ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Formatting an SSD in MBP

I have a macbook pro (non retina)and an ssd drive currently in a windows laptop.

I wish to use the ssd drive in my MBP do I need to format it first or will the MBP sort all that out for me when I fit it?

I have seen this video and it all seems simple but just concerned over whether I need to format it before it goes into the mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfiGF_pjqvM

Many thanks

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I think you may need to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before you install it.

EDIT: After watching that video it looks as though you can format it after it's been installed which is a bonus, I ordered mine last week so I'm hoping it gets here soon so I can install it.

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Me and tom put a new ssd in my mbp a while ago. It was very easy iirc.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished installing mine @Brazo, super easy to do. The longest part was waiting for my time machine back-up to transfer over. I've done a clean install of the OS and the boot up time is crazy now, so much quicker.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't mean much but a quick before and after read & write speeds.

Before
ScreenShot2014-04-13at223550_zps538b5fb6.png

After
ScreenShot2014-04-22at214722_zps1d7cf829.png

Just timed the after start up time, got 13.75 seconds to the login menu. Unfortunately I didn't get a before time recorded but it was at least 40 seconds, massive difference.