ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From a C172 to a C192 - what do I need to know

VW Potato
Hey, alright? Hope you guys are well.

Ok, so I sold my Flamer C172 earlier this year to a lad on here. Since then I've been chilling in a 100k, Polo 1.4 Auto. Yep, it's every bit as dull as it sounds, but after years of fast cars, it's also a curiously liberating experience (costs peanuts to run, hasn't gone wrong, doesn't need to stop for a drink whenever it clocks a petrol station, the driver's seat has a positive relationship with the proximity of the pedals and the steering wheel and its performance proves that a chilled slow is the new fast).

But with petrol in my blood, it's now time to get a car I want. I won't bore you too much with what I've chewed over/driven/viewed this year, but I think I'm back in Clio-land again. The only reason I sold my C172 was because the driving position/seat was killing my back, but i believe this has been cracked in the new Clio.

So, here's my plan. Keep the VW Potauto for the boring stuff (work/tip/supermarket) and keep the Clio for the fun stuff (to see my sister/weekends/trips to car shows). That means, if I'm keeping it for special things, I don't want the 'standard' 192, i'd prefer any hotter ones they offer.

My question to those who have gone from a 172 to a 192, is what are the differences with respect to driving the cars and their dynamics? On my 172, I loved the 'power everywhere' engine, the steering (despite being rubbish at low speed) was excellent when tanking on, as were the brakes. I hope these qualitites have been retained in the new car.

I'm interested only in dynamic improvements over the 172 - build quality is neither here nor there for me (esp as the car won't be used daily), and what the driving position is like; i hope it's better!

Also, i've not been keeping up on my reading, so are there any new versions of the Clio due that I should be thinking about (Cups, etc)?

cheers for you help guys,

g

the 197 you mean?

ive not driven one but read reviews and hear that the engine doesnt have as good low down power, im sure someone who actually owns one on here will tell you lol.

Also i think the details on the Cup version have just been released, but dont know when its out. Personally id go for the R27!

VW Potato
197? like i said, i've not been keeping up on my reading, but the extra 5bhp is a pleasant surprise :)

What is the R27?

g

Bag ureself an R27 if u can.

I've got one and haven't been disappointed.

The just-announced "CUP" doesn't seem extreme enough to wear the "cup" badge.

R27 will get u the lovely recaros as standard as well!