ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front arch liners

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a search but can't find anything useful. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that stripping the arch liners out exposed an engine pulley so could be a bit dodgy but I can't find anything to back that up.

I'm taking the fog lights out today and was thinking of taking the arch liners out just to get a bit more cooling to the brakes. I do have a hot craft knife I can use to modify the liners if that's a safer option. The bottom of the passenger side liner where the horn is has already been torn to hell so I'm not worried about hacking it around.

Anyone else modified/removed the front arch liners? Any advice?

I kept mine in, it does expose the crank pulley/aux belt on the drivers side, not sure that's such a. If deal on a track car though. I just cut 100mm holes and ran duct to deflector plates for brake cooling.

Sorry, it's not pretty and clean..... Just functional :smile:
A841B132-B7CC-46E1-B3D2-FE9D646F8080_zpstfk5ankd.jpg

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose that's the other question, without deflector plates and some ducting would removing the fogs and modifying the arch liners for more airflow actually make a blind bit of difference?

You can see the exposed aux belt pulley here:
IMG_0387.jpg
Which is normally covered by the "flap" on the side of the arch liner:
$_57.jpg
Brake cooling options really are a bit crap on these cars:

* Package space is very tight so ducting diameter is hugely restricted.
* The discs vent from the outside inwards not vica versa.
* You can't go particularly aggressive with deflector plates AT ALL because at full lock on bump/droop the (already stretched) brake lines will contact the plates. (However much chaffing it would take to get though a brake line, I for one don't want to arrive anywhere with no brakes just for the sake of getting 2 more laps in on a track day before brakes fade)
* The gap between the CV boot, strut & calliper is far too small to get any ducting to the calliper.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have the sinilar set up to mark above. I wouldnt want to remove the liner tbh. With regards 'does it make a difference', i would say yes. It wont make it worse thats for sure :)

I suppose that's the other question, without deflector plates and some ducting would removing the fogs and modifying the arch liners for more airflow actually make a blind bit of difference?

The 1st track day in mine I had the fogs removed, nothing else done and my brakes were on fire :fearscream: Added the ducting and deflectors and they take all the abuse I can throw at them

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, so I've ditched the passenger wheel arch liner because it was destroyed already, fog lights gone,horn relocated, fatty's induction kit fitted, all the induction pipe work including the solenoid gone, modified the drivers side wheel arch, but I'm stuck.

Carbon canister - can I just whip it off and disconnect the pipe work? Should I leave the electrical plug in the solenoid? Help! :smile:

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. I got rid of it but left the plug out of the solenoid, I'll see if it throws any codes.

Bloody good afternoon's work there!

All the crap I stripped out of the car:
20150530_162844081_iOS.jpg

The wheel arch liners - spot the difference between the knackered passenger side and the OK driver's side? :)

20150530_145115992_iOS.jpg

Modified wheel arch liner - knew that butane soldering iron would come in handy.....
20150530_152036894_iOS.jpg

Fitted back on the car, will hopefully help the cooling although obviously some ducting would be better.
20150530_160703688_iOS.jpg

Happy days :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Looking good and great work. You will notice a nice difference. Makes sense to do it really, over kill for road but ideal to aid cooling the brakes on track. What pads and discs have you got, unless I've missed it.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Standard discs and DS2500's on the front, standard discs and pads on the back.
I didn't have any issues with brake fade last time out at Combe, but I wasn't hitting them particularly hard. Thruxton next which has at least one very big stop so I thought I'd best have a crack at the cooling.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Ref the solenoid for the carbon canister, the car was repeatedly throwing a fault code with the electrical plug removed from the solenoid. With it back in there have been no more fault codes.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn't putting the EML on, but it was throwing a code that the solenoid wasn't operating. Can't say I've noticed any difference in the car, but less fault codes is always good ;)

I really need to get a pic up of mine. I really cannot be assed to remove the acoustic valve or carbon cannister as I havent a clue what im doing lol

So it means that I have some ducting sat in the shed doing nothing and some nice little tidy holes in my arch liners basically giving cooling to my horns and my carbon cannister and a tiny bit to my brakes!