ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

front components confusion.

hi,

i am trying to fit some components (in a nreg 16v), but am i little confused. i have installed the tweeters in the 10 cm dash speaker spaces and the 13cm speakers have gone in the doors, thats about as far as i have got. i am going to run them of the head unit for now but as i have to use the wires installed by renault cos i cant get new ones into the doors i have no idea which wires i need to wire into the crossovers, there apears to be a renualt cross over already in there behind the left hand dash speaker space.

can anyone please shed some light on what i need to do, i am very stuck.

thanks alot

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Yeah I had this problem. The way I got round it was to temorarily attach the speaker wires in the doors to the new speaker & then cut all 4 wires going to the factory x-over (1 had already been taken off by some-one else). I then used a 9-volt battery on the cut x-over wires to test each combination of 2 wires & the 2 that moved the cone of the speaker were the ones that I attached to the x-over & i taped the other 2 up.

Please note that I have not finished installing my ICE yet, so I may have wired the +ve & -ve wires around the wrong way, but this is something that I can easily sort out at the x-over end.

Hope this is of some help.

James

thanks alot for the reply i will do what you said, but one thing,

are the speaker wires for the right hand speakers/tweeters goining through the renualt cross overs? meaning when you cut the wires and install the new cross overs they will both go in the left hand side speaker compartment?

i hope you understand what i mean

right i got the left hand side working, but from what i can see i didnt need to cut the renault cross overs, but its a bit late now. also ignore my last post, i figured out how it works and the new cross overs would be on either side not just the left.

what i have done it cut the 4 wires which go into the 10cm speaker space, tested which two power the door speakers, and the other two are the input to the cross overs, wires the new tweeters into the new cross overs and thats it, no need to cut the renault cross overs which i have done :|

it was all made very confusing but lots of different coloured wires which never seems to match up in the right places. oh well.

cheers James Clio 16v you helped me alot with the battery trick

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

If you want to run decent speaker wire to the doors you need to remove the connector on the end of the rubber hose that runs from the car body to the door. Once youve done that you can drill a couple of holes in it, do the same on the plug that goes inside the car and then feed the wires through. Its a fiddly job, but once its done at least you know your cabling is up to scratch.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/billhemsley/wiring/wireplug1.jpg http://homepage.ntlworld.com/billhemsley/wiring/wireplug2.jpg

Rick

silver valver/hybrid

rick, i wanted to do that but i just cant get anything to fit in the gap to undo the srews holding the conectors in. how did you get round this?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Derv, you mean the star shaped screws on the outside of the car? I used a small screwdriver bit (like you get for an electric screwdriver) and then used a pair of pliers to turn it. Quite fiddly and time consuming to do but its the only way I could see of doing it. Failing that, a pair of pliers on their own maybe enough.

silver valver/hybrid

cheers rick never thought of that, i tried doing it the other day could only just get the bit in! there is no room! will have to put the car on the road so i can get the door fully open.