ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front spacers suitable for track use

Clio 172
Hi All,

I am looking for some front spacers 20/25mm and have looked at the MAD offering but I am slightly concerned about them being aluminium rather than steel. So who are recommended for steel spacers for better durability of swapping wheels (trackday car so two sets of wheels) etc. I tried the FK site but am having issues viewing from work. All suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Andy

Last edited:
  RS6 C7
Hi Andy,

If you are changing your wheels alot have you not looked at a stud conversion kit form somewhere like Pure motorsport?

We can always make steel spacers if you require but they are very very heavy in comparison, I think the best option would be to run a stud conversion, That way you are not wearing the aluminium threads down and it's a hell of alot easier to change a wheel when you have studs anyway!

I think there is 1 company out there doing steel spacers, They're normally gold plated.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I will use ally providing its with studs, as like you say the ally threads can wear out if you use normal bolts and keep putting them on and off.

In fact thats what I have on my turbo at the moment,.

Clio 172
I will use ally providing its with studs, as like you say the ally threads can wear out if you use normal bolts and keep putting them on and off.

In fact thats what I have on my turbo at the moment,.

I was waiting for you to make an appearance. Is the stud kit I have linked to any good Chip? Makes the Pure kit look very costly in comparisson.

RS6 C7
I was waiting for you to make an appearance. Is the stud kit I have linked to any good Chip? Makes the Pure kit look very costly in comparisson.
I think the kit you linked has the studs that demon tweeks sell, IIRC iv'e heard a few people say they are fairly soft, I think with the PM kit you get a socket drive in the end too which is a good addition plus iv'e heard they are hard wearing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would this stud kit do the job and what length do you need?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Cl...item41562f745f
No mate its not any good, I tried using them once and they just kept stretching so much when they go hot that they undid, damn near lost a wheel because of it in fact.

Now dont get me wrong, the pure ones need to be tightened after your first session to allow for heat, but these seem to just keep getting worse and worse.

I would assume they are probably 8.8 grade steel TBH rather than 10.9 like the pure ones.

I will only use the pure ones or hockley ones now (pure being the far cheaper option)

e92 330i
Indeed, thats why i have them, they are awsome. Why would you comprimise something that your wheel is attached to?

Im not saying dan's spacers aren't good, i expect they are as good as fk/eibach but I wanted the best.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well if torqued to 105nm all-round - all good?

I'd say my wheels be off, AT MOST twice a year lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
The MAD ones seem to be good - won't be getting a set for a while though as I'm saving for belts & getting few things sorted first

172 Track Car
Helicoil! We heliocoil all of hour aluminium that gets undone on a regular basis. Works are a treat on things on the threads inside the engine block, diff mounts etc.

172 Track Car
Maybe, but it depends if you want studs or not. I'd say the only reason it's less hassle is that studs are easier to use when changing a wheel. Otherwise a couple of hours for a pair is hardly a big ask. In particular the positive retention ones are something I love.

What stud kit do you use Chip, tempted by them for the track car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I use pure motorsport ones on our clios mate, no problems at all so far, same for porkies car which gets more hammering than any other clio I know (including far more than any of the race cars)

Only thing to remember is that you need to retorque them after your first session once they are nice and warm.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
So can I put the stud kit INTO the spacer itself and just have the spacer bolted to the hub?

Also, is it possible to have the stud kit into the hub and run say, 15mm spacers that sit on the studs?

Potentially stupid questions above ;-)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So can I put the stud kit INTO the spacer itself and just have the spacer bolted to the hub?

Also, is it possible to have the stud kit into the hub and run say, 15mm spacers that sit on the studs?

Potentially stupid questions above ;-)

Yes to both of the above perfectly sensible questions mate.