ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front tyres different to rear tyres?

Audi A3
Ive currently got 182 cup wheels with exaltos on my car.

The fronts are wearing more than the rears obviously but still got a decent amount of tread on, and the rears loads.

Ive got 172 wheels coming without tyres, next week.

ive got 3 options.

do i just swap them all round, tyres from one set of wheels to another

swap them and put rears on the front on vice versa (not sure on this though)

buy brand new fronts but a different brand/make (dont fancy spending £100 per tyre for exaltos)

thanks

Ph1 T
ive got t1r's on front and exalatos on rear of mine dont think it makes that much of a difference does it?

Audi A3
does it make much of a difference getting 195/45/16s on the front or should the be matched with the 205/45/16s on the rear?

cheers folks

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not a problem at all putting narrower tyres on the front compared to the rear.

Obviously going to slightly change the handling bias, but nothing dramatic and perfectly legal.

Ah yeah I was wandering something similar myself.

Is it fine to put a different makes on the front and rear of the car, e.g. if they are the same size and both summer sets, will there be any noticeable difference in tyre wear at all? As I fancy making a slow switch away from my Toyo's, starting with a couple that will need replacing in 500 miles time.

Mainly concerned about traction and wear

(noob question I know)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can generally treat each axle as seperate, so providing the left front and right front are the same it shouldnt be an issue.
Obviously not as far as having trackday tyres on one end and not the other etc though.

But if its just to go from one brand of road tyre to another, it should be no problem to swap just the rears or just the fronts.