ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front wheel bearings, is it a big job to change them?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Hello.

My front wheel bearings need replacing in my 182. I have had a search and not found much info on the fronts.

Is it a big job to change the front wheel bearings? Non genuine replacements ok to use?

Thank you

CBR1000RR Fireblade
And thats it?

Do Renault wheel bearings have to be used or can I buy them from the likes of GSF etc?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
And thats it?

Do Renault wheel bearings have to be used or can I buy them from the likes of GSF etc?

I would like to know this as well! :)

In answer to your question Gouldy, I am stripping down some hubs at the moment, and I am looking at changing the bearings.

There are some metal clips, like circlips holding the bearings in.

These need removing, and the old bearing can simply be pressed out.

The hub will need removing from the car for this though :)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Thank you for the replies.

I rang a local parts place today and for some bizarre reason they told me it was a massive job and only genuine bits were to be used.

I wanted to know if he was telling the truth or not

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
F.A.G. are non genuine but good quality. I've used loads of other makes on my own cars, and everything but FAG and ABL have lasted only a few months

8v mk 1 yeeeeee
urrrmmm, we use a 12 tonne hydraulic press at work for bearings. gets them out fine but its not really something you can do without a press... and non genuine is fine. im using bearings that arent genuine and havnt had a problem... done a full day of track and hard road use often.... not a humm or a wobble from them

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Why were you considering non-genuine then? ;)

Post 5#

I though it was a straight forward job, and that most wheel bearings will be a very similar design so it wouldn't matted if they were genuine or not. Interesting...

182 trackday racer
I went with aftermarket ones (from memory GSF), they lasted about 10000km. From now on I only run genuine Renault ones.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The ones from GSF are genuine, same part number on the bearing!

I would of thought there would be some copy right infringement on that?

Gsf gave me 2 prices on the front wheel bearings. £19 plus vat for some and they said they also stocked a better item that was £29 + vat.

I take it neither of these are the ones you are taking about Fred?

Lionel Richie
Erm copyright? you on drugs?

Renault don't make the bearing, they just buy it in from FAG, SKF (who probably buy it in from someone else) stick it in a renault box and sell it to you

if you take the bearing part number (not the renault part number) it crosses over to the more expensive one from GSF ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've had 2 from local motor factors place on the rear for almost 2 years - one is starting to go now but my fronts have been fine since I've owned the car :)

182 trackday racer
The ones from GSF are genuine, same part number on the bearing!

Must be misstaking then cant be GSF, the ones I bought came from K-tec and had different seals than genuine. Also when taking them apart (to change them) the K-tec ones came apart easy as hell compared to genuine that need quite a lot of force to come apart. So it seems the quality is not the same. My center nuts came loose and I think thats what ruined the bearing so fast, so normaly maybe they are okay.

But anyway IMO the quality is better on genuine so I wount buy anything else in the future.

Last edited:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Out of curiosity.. Were "SNR" bearings used from the factory?

The reason being, I have literally just stripped down a pair of hubs, and both of them were running these bearings..

The previous owner also said they were not changed during his ownership.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've used FAG units before without any issues... last just fine unless you're an idiot who attempts to bash em in with a lump of wood and a hammer.

I'll do em for you Gouldy, £90 a side supplied and fitted and i'll give you 12months on them to.

Mick

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I know you will Mick. I was on the phone to you about it for half an hour on Friday! Hope you had a good day today for your nephews birthday.

Lionel Richie
Jesus christ i'm putting my prices up Mick! £90 a side! no wonder you're rolling round in a phantom! ;) we're £84 per side (front) inc VAT

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Jesus christ i'm putting my prices up Mick! £90 a side! no wonder you're rolling round in a phantom! ;) we're £84 per side (front) inc VAT

Thanks for the info the other day Fred. I know your slight cheaper Fred, however I have just found out about Mick and he is an hour closer to me so it makes sense to go there.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
As Fred says, FAG are spot on. Exactly the same as Renault the products they make.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

LoL i've had to sell that matey, i've got a 6wk old daughter now hence the price rises ;)