ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FTO vs 172

Clio 182
Hi guys, my mate has just bought a mitsubishi 2.0v6 and i was wondering what is faster between the clio sport and one of these. He reckons the FTO is a lot faster, i cant say anything really as i dont know and dont own a RS yet.

thanks

Turbos.
There are loads of different variations. He will need a manual one for starters, tiptronic ones are well slow.

Clio 182
the one he has just bought is bog standard and is not the manual. is raving on though how he'd whoop my ass when get my RS and how its a much better car. also reckons he gave a supra a good race which i doubt very much.

Turbos.
White16valver said:
Anyone remember the FTO owners invasion on the old forum when this argument kicked off? LOL

That was great, someone should let them know round 2 is starting!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
FTO's are soo slow. like really dissapointing from what you see its coming from - a V6

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
^^ btw just to clear that up i dnt mean theyr slow in general but for what they are - 200bhp V6 with a close ratio gearbox (im sure). tops out at like 120 if that. 0 -60 in about 8secs.

Clio 182
ok cool, thanks for that guys, so i now know he's talking a load of shat. he was on my tail last night and went flying past me but then its not hard to look fast against my RT lol

E90
all show and no go, make a nice noise, dont go like they sound, although i'm sure there plenty of rapid ones.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I've had a play with one and was really surprised when i got absolutely mullered, then i woke up and had my breakfast...

Tyson.

J

jamesy

FTO=:sleepy: even if it is faster ill take the clio because it looks goodLOL

d_tyler said:
Hi guys, my mate has just bought a mitsubishi 2.0v6 and i was wondering what is faster between the clio sport and one of these. He reckons the FTO is a lot faster, i cant say anything really as i dont know and dont own a RS yet.

thanks

A Morego 202 will hit 60 in 5.9 seconds, that's as quick as a GTO and it will take the corners better too, those things are dogs (EVO magazine won't even list it in The Knowledge- it's that crap). FTO's aren't much better cars and even slower.

The stats compare very interestingly and show that 2 extra cylinders adds a lot of weight and produces less maximum torque and at higher revs. And that f**king price?! Who are they kidding?

FTO
£22,995!!! (255 V6 money!!!)
6 cyl 1998cc
197bhp @ 7500rpm
147 lb ft @ 6000rpm
1199 kg
164 bhp/tonne
0-60mph - 7.2 seconds
top speed - 140mph

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup/Trophy
£13,800/£15,500
4 cyl 1998cc
180bhp @ 6500rpm
148 lb ft @ 5250rpm
1090 kg
165 bhp/tonne
0-60mph - 6.5 seconds
top speed - 140mph

Hope that clears things up, but to be honest, numbers don't mean s**t, your mate will probably love his Mitsi but I guarantee you will have more fun and go faster in a 182. Oh and buy a Trophy, you'll never regret it.

C

Cupster

The FTO's aint all that. I nailed a V6(Manual) in my old Golf 4motion and my cup is quicker than the golf. Overrated, Sound sweet though and can look the part.

Renaultsport Clio 182
I have a standard FTO GR 1995 tiptronic version which I am in the process of trading in for a Clio 182. I could do 0-60 in about 7.5 secs, and topped 140mph on the motorway. It's a lot of fun to drive, the seating position is good, low down, unlike the Clio. The engine note is fantastic especially when revving at higher speeds, it has a very satisfying whine reminiscent of a turbo. The engine is top notch.

I only traded it in because the performance is very similar on the cars, and my FTO was getting very old and starting to have bits go wrong. I hope my new Clio 182 can live up to the Mitsi!

On another note, the tips aren't that much slower than a manual. About 1 second is the quoted time. Which is the same as every other car out there.

So to conclude, I think the cars would be evenly matched on the road, and also stop slating the FTO cos they are genuinely good cars, and despite what has been said, its gorgeous. I've happily owned one for 3-4 years (a bit sorry to let it go really), and it won Japan's coveted Car of the Year award three times in the 90s up against competition from other Japanese greats (Toyota Supra?). Says it all really.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has a v6 manual ...it made 195 bhp at the last rolling road.
Great car amazing sound bet deffo no faster than my cup...even in a line...
The cup will out run it all day

Turbos.
This thread got a bit anti FTO, they may not be fast but they do handle tidly and i personally think they are good lookers. Engine noise kicks ass too so if you want to feel a bit more special then you couldn't knock someone for getting one...

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
wannabe ferrari looks, metro performance, they arent as slow as people make out, 7secs -60 isnt to sniffed at! but they are a bag of shite

A silver Honda
Nice cars imo.

A mate of mine had one (AndyV_16v on here)

The V6 roar is gorgeous, nice seats.

Totally different car to a 172 so no point comparing them really.

Clio 172mk2
the FTO`s look good , but most perform like a bag of s**t , i looked into em but , they aint worth it

glasgow182 said:
^^ btw just to clear that up i dnt mean theyr slow in general but for what they are - 200bhp V6 with a close ratio gearbox (im sure). tops out at like 120 if that. 0 -60 in about 8secs.

thats because theyre limited to 112-120ish mph from japan

delimit should see them hit 135-145ish..

theres one sat in my driveway, 2.0 v6 GR.
i never liked them before but once you drive one you can appreciate it.. they sound awesome, they look sporty and when your sat in it your really low and feel like your in a sports car. not the fastest thing around but not too shabby.

i have to move the fto out the driveway to get my clio out the garage, and after steppng out the fto, i feel like im climbing into a bus getting into the 182..

can get 1.8 4cylinder
2.0 v6 180bhp
2.0 v6 mivec 200bhp

''The engine is top notch.''

tend to disagree there, they blow up easily.

another plus is they can be found for 3k ish now..

oh and theyre a f**king nightmare to work on.. had to drop the suspension leg off, undo the engine mount and jack the engine about 4 inches out of th eengine bay just to remove/refit the alternator!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
GuyS said:
thats because theyre limited to 112-120ish mph from japan

delimit should see them hit 135-145ish..

cheers for clearing that up with me :). wasnt sure if they had something like that.

girlier looks than a Clio, s**t slow, owners think they are in an Evo... sound great though...

RS will batter it all day long... in fact any semi quick Reno would. I was in my mates valver when he had a do with a Mivec and pulled fairly easily from it... he was on his own too... horses for courses, but I think they look pants and wouldn't touch one with yours