ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel additives/cleaners or premium fuels?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mine used to drive with flat tyres.

Sheffield->Manchester->Sheffield.
No idea at what point the tyre went flat but I doubt it happened in the last 50 meters.

Few months later drove (forward) into a post, tore the rear bumper half off. Drove home from Nottingham regardless.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Your woman did?

Yep! Didn’t even tell me either, I was shifting the cars round on the drive and I noticed it. How long has your oil light been on? Oh is that what it is, a few days. 🤦‍♂️

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Yep! Didn’t even tell me either, I was shifting the cars round on the drive and I noticed it. How long has your oil light been on? Oh is that what it is, a few days. 🤦‍♂️

Christ.... I'd be getting a new women if that was me 😂

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I use Monentum in the 200EDC. Runs sweet. Took a trip to Ireland last year and couldn’t get super (not even 97ron) for love nor money. So had to top up with regular 95ron. The car started misbehaving pretty quickly. I brimmed with momentum as soon as I got back into England and it sorted itself out.
I occasionally fill up with V-Power but I don’t notice any difference other than the cost 🤣

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Interesting the comments earlier about based fuel at supermarkets being a lower grade. First time I have heard a proper explanation for why its poorer.

I did some stuff on this at Uni years ago. Not to the level the other Chap on her obviously.

You could see the residue forming which was then cleaned by the additives that had a higher boiling point than the fuel.

When I say cleaned I mean carried forward into combustion rather than building up on inlet & injection system.

I would be intrested to know what length of time it would take using cheaper supermarket fuels to impact an engine adversely. 5k, 10k, 50k.

Because there are a lot of people using it.

Clio Williams 3
Very interesting thread! Like many others I only ever put V Power in my Clio Williams and Alfa v6, but I just go for standard shell 95 in my focus 1.6 daily driver (shell garage is round the corner from wrk) Occasionally I put in Esso/BP as they are the garages near to where I live. I avoid all supermarket fuels where possible as I wouldn't take the risk with any of my cars. I do sometimes put in a bit of Reddex as its so cheap

I've always thought this 5th gear test quite interesting

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I think it's quite different here in Northern Ireland. We don't get V-Power/Momentum99 and I've heard from someone in the trade in my local car forum that all our fuel is from the same supply. Getting super over here is a struggle at times nevermind getting non-supermarket petrol, then if my source is to be believed, there's minimal point paying 10-15ppl more at a BP garage for UL if it's all coming from the same place.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What is the difference between the base stock thats used to make the fuels?

More crap in the supermarket ones?

George_220

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RS200 Cup
Neither am I, I've only worked in the fuel and oil additive industry for over a decade 🤣
So are you saying Momentum is fine?? I’ve often wondered what happens if I need to put say 95/97 in my 220t in an emergency

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So are you saying Momentum is fine?? I’ve often wondered what happens if I need to put say 95/97 in my 220t in an emergency

Will be totally fine !! You won't notice any difference a lot of it is placebo imo
No you car won't blow up either !
Car ECU will run happily on any uk grade of fuel.
Only thing you will notice is it's cheaper to fill up🤣

George_220

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RS200 Cup
Will be totally fine !! You won't notice any difference a lot of it is placebo imo
No you car won't blow up either !
Car ECU will run happily on any uk grade of fuel.
Only thing you will notice is it's cheaper to fill up🤣
Thanks mate I didn’t think it would be mostly psychological unless you’ve got a Ferrari

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Thanks mate I didn’t think it would be mostly psychological unless you’ve got a Ferrari

Had a 172 from new for 11 years only, ever ran on sainsbury's 95 octane up to 90k never missed a beat went to dyno days and santapod many many times never had one issue think that says it all really.
On the few times I did put v power in made no difference at all I could tell even to mpg.
Same with my mk6 golf gti sold it at 80k never had one issue and my current gti.

If your car is highly modified or remapped then super v power yes otherwise total waste of money.

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
One to add to the thread...

Sainsbury's Super Unleaded.

My car is stage 1 mapped by R-Tech for V-Power supposedly. I decided that it's an absolute f**king hassle going to Shell to fill up all the time so tried Sainsbury's Super. Absolutely zero difference. If anything it feels a little better actually, but that's probably due to the cold weather at the same time as changing fuel.

Anyone else using Sainsbury's?