ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel breather question

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So years ago when I removed my carbon canister I let the tank breather vent in the same location the carbon canister was originally located, however last trackday I noticed a very strong smell of fuel in the car giving me a banging headache by the end of the day. After an inspection of the breather pipe it’s broken and as such now venting nearer the bulkhead so for the time being at least I’ve blocked it off. I assume this isn’t the done thing as it seems to cause pressure/hissing when removing the cap.

Clearly I don’t know a great deal about fuel breather systems so any input is appreciated 👍

Cheers
Dan

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I've got (because I saw it on here) a fuel breather that was meant for motorbikes. One way breather, so only 'out'. Not fitted as I haven't pulled carbon canister yet.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hijack slightly. But I have been toying with the idea of losing my carbon canister and it’s annoying tick. Is it just a case of removing it fitting some sort of resistor and one of these vents? If so any how to guide as to what resistor is needed and best place to fit the vent?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hijack slightly. But I have been toying with the idea of losing my carbon canister and it’s annoying tick. Is it just a case of removing it fitting some sort of resistor and one of these vents? If so any how to guide as to what resistor is needed and best place to fit the vent?
Leave the cap from the canister plugged in and the car won't notice any difference mate

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Can't say I've noticed it on mine tbh mate. Then again I've got a Ktec stealth with no resonator so as soon as I start the car any small noises like that are drowned out 😂

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Can't say I've noticed it on mine tbh mate. Then again I've got a Ktec stealth with no resonator so as soon as I start the car any small noises like that are drowned out 😂
Lol! I found it to be a solution also, added a decat and it even silenced the little voice in my head saying "it's too loud with a stripped interior"

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
I've got (because I saw it on here) a fuel breather that was meant for motorbikes. One way breather, so only 'out'. Not fitted as I haven't pulled carbon canister yet.
This is what I have. Best fitted with the tank dropped though and not even sure it's doable without removing the tank.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Got a trackday next week, any issues with leaving it blocked for the time being?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Got a trackday next week, any issues with leaving it blocked for the time being?

You'll be fine, just open the fuel cap for a moment between sessions or when in pit. Tank is plastic as long as you diligently let it vent it shouldn't turn inside out. Some people say the fuel cap has another vent in it but I haven't noticed one.

I also have a little one way valve which I haven't fitted yet however I think I will try to install it slightly remotely so I can occasionally check it and replace if needed. Likely to have dog s**t Chinaland orings inside which will degrade over time and remove the one way valviness.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’ve purchased a few bits to try and make good of what’s left of the current tank breather at the front of the car as I won’t be getting the tank off before next week.

Shouldn't it be only 'in'? Because when the fuel get's lesser, air should replace it?