ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Cannister Removal

Clio 182
Hi all,

So my EML is on because of the carbon (charcoal) cannister, I have sourced a heatsink resistor, bung for the inlet and a breather for the fuel tank. I've read plenty of posts about the removal of it, but there a mixed options on how to do this.

To anyone that has removed the cannister, what exactly did you leave in and what did you remove? Some say to leave the cap with the plug for the cannister and cable tie it in behind the headlight, others say remove it.

I was going to add the resistor to the plug, remove the line from the cannister to the inlet, bung the inlet off, remove the line from the tank to the cannister, and add the breather about 6 inches down this line. Is this correct or am I missing something before I tackle this job prior to its MOT?

Cheers!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I removed the plug and stuck a resistor on it.

Bung on the inlet.

Removed the pipework all the way back to where it joins the main pipe. If you look underneath just behind the front wheel arch where the subframe brace is, you'll see what i mean. I put the breather in there.

Clio 182
I removed the plug and stuck a resistor on it.

Bung on the inlet.

Removed the pipework all the way back to where it joins the main pipe. If you look underneath just behind the front wheel arch where the subframe brace is, you'll see what i mean. I put the breather in there.
Thanks for the reply! Having the bung that far up front, do you get any petrol fumes smell? Sounds like an easy enough job, once the car is back from the painters I'll tackle it.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Just done mine. I removed the valve thingy (technical name) from the top of the canister and left the connector attached. Put a bolt into the open inlet on the valve and zip tied out the way under my headlight. I then removed the hose all the way to the inlet and as I was also removing the acoustic valve I looped a hose from the back to the front hose points on the inlet, I could have and might still cap them.

Then I cut the breather off and tucked it away in the wheel arch for now until I get a valve and I will shorten it closer to the tank.

MK2 PH2 02`
I have P0433 code
Evap. system purge control valve.
If i put a resistor can i just block the line that comes from the head? I have some hard starts and gentle idles, i want to solve it and using a resistor for the check engine light, is that possible by doing just what i mentioned?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have P0433 code
Evap. system purge control valve.
If i put a resistor can i just block the line that comes from the head? I have some hard starts and gentle idles, i want to solve it and using a resistor for the check engine light, is that possible by doing just what i mentioned?

Yes.

There are threads on here with what resistor to use and how to block it off and vent the tank line.