ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel Consumption/Range Full Tank

Renault Clio 96 1.2
Hi all. New here. I have a 1996 1.2 Petrol Clio. I feel like I should be getting more miles to a full tank. I get around 500 Kilometers which is around 310 miles per full tank which seems pretty s**t for a small 1.2. Is this bad?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 2001 1.2 16v does around 400 miles between fuel stops, its got a 50 litre tank but takes about 40 litres each time I fill it so works out around 45mpg, that's mainly just a 15 mile each way motorway commute during quiet hours

Renault Clio 96 1.2
Thanks for your reply pal. Interesting. And yours in much more modern. So the above figures for a 41 litre tank and getting around 310 miles for a full tank isn't cause for concern?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 2001 1.2 16v as my first car, not sure if that's the same engine as yours or if it's significantly different in terms of fuel consumption, but I used to get 47mpg quite consistently. That was almost all steady driving at 70mph on the motorway though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for your reply pal. Interesting. And yours in much more modern. So the above figures for a 41 litre tank and getting around 310 miles for a full tank isn't cause for concern?
I wouldn't say so, sounds about right, brim the tank (41 litres in the tank if that's correct) see how many miles it does until the light comes on, see how many litres it takes to fill again and now you know how many miles its done and to how many litres, you can then work out the MPG using something like this https://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

worth noting, I've found that my driving style doesn't drastically affect the mpg in the same way it does in my 182 or even my diesel one.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
As it's a lower spec Mk1 it probably doesn't have the reserve tank that's part of the filler neck so will have about 10 litres less capacity than the ones with the reserve tank so I'd say your consumption is about right.

The most I usually got from my Valvers that had the extra tank was about 300-350 miles to a tank

Renault Clio 96 1.2
Thanks all! Appreciate it. The last time I filled the tank it was 38.5 litres and I got around 350 miles (570km). So using the calculator that Martin_172 kindly provided that works out at around 41mpg. I guess that's right.

No I just need to fix my synchromesh issue with 2nd gear. This website is ace. Never joined a car forum before.

Renault Clio 96 1.2
He is having you on, its a Porsche.

Your clio is a Mark 1 so id say about right, I got about the same out my 1.2 Biarritz which was a 1998 Mark 1.
Haha, muggins. I completely missed that. Lucky bugger's moved on from a Clio... Thanks pal. Glad i asked here.