ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel Economy

hi guys,

ive got loadsa questions for u guys, but the first one has to be ... what mpg do you get ? how far does a full tank take you ? Ive got a 16v, and a full tank will last for about 150-200 miles, i didnt buy the car for good fuel economy, but 15mg ! thats not even pushing it either ! if i put on a de-cat(im presuming j reg has one) would this improve ? performance gain aswell ? and on a j reg, can i leave the de-cat pipe on for mots, or would i have to swap back ?

thats is, quiz over, any ideas ?

ive had between 170-300, you would be really hammering it to get it below 170, alot depends on when you fill up again, i.e light first on or reaching end of reserve, i suggest you change air and fuel filter and plugs, just for a start, mine did benefit from this, and sensible driving im afraid, the ebgine hardly has to work to propell the little clio chassis, but when you put your foot down it droppd off alarmingly,

lofty

As a guide my 16v done approx 90 miles-100 miles for every £10 of fuel. That was driving fairly conservatively with the odd traffic light grand prix thrown in too.15mpg! Id say you may have a problem there. As for the de-cat the guy who done the MOT on mine said I could ditch the CAT and still pass my MOT as cars built before 92 were not required to have them.

Paranoia,

thats about the same MPG as mine...

i travel from ESSEX -> KENT via the QE2 and dartford tunnel each day... its about 25miles each way

mon = 50miles
tues = 50miles
wed = 50miles
thu = 50miles
firday = 50miles
weekend = 10miles

=====================
260miles
=====================

i put around £26 in the tank each week..

i think thats fairly good... (phase 2 Clio 16v "M" reg, with just de-cat air Green filter, Magnex pipe)

I get about 250-350 miles out of my tank. I dont know what cams/verniers/head/pbv/induction/exhaust does for fuel consumption. All I know is that this seems to be about the same as my 1.2 Clio!!!!!!!!!!

Only got my 16v on wednesday!

Had to drive it about 150 miles home from where i picked it up - only costed about 5-8 quid i think...

But, driving it round the manor last night it caned through a third of the tank!! And i wasnt really ragging it that much!

How much does a full tank hold? How much money wise?

well, guess the filters and plugs will have to be the first thing then. thnx for the info for the de-cat, thatll save the hassle of swapping. looks like the current tank will last me 150ish, thats till the light goes on, bout 40 litres. i reckon heavy driving would get it down to about 100-120. ive been looking at splitfire plugs, there expensive but apparently the best, any views on these ? worth the extra cash ?

i thought the tank holds 50 litres on a 16v as u have 2 tanks and a pump running between them when petrol gets too low.

right, there is 2 tanks, the aux tank is before the main tank from the fuel cap. reserve is 10 litres, when the main tank is dry, another pump kicks in and transfers fuel from the aux tank to the main tank, so the red warning light lights up, but once petrol has moved to the main tank, itll go out again, and so on. If the aux tank is run dry, 10 litres needs to be put in before the level in the main tank starts to rise.
(from haynes manual, havent seen it myself )

BMW 320d Sport

yeah the Haynes is right about the fuel tanks. I never let it go into the reserve tank anyway, thats how you clog up your fuel system. Always fill up before the light comes on, but I have had fuel economy as bad as 150 miles to a tank (down to the light coming on, not running dry).

I thought there was something wrong with my car but after having the whole thing checked out by a local Renault independent, he found nothing and asked how I drove. He suggested that I should not be so heavy with the right foot, accelerate with the throttle only half down unless I really need the extra pace and dont leave it in gear late.

I thought he was just being a boring old fart, but took his advice, got everywhere just as quickly as when I was ragging it, and started getting 250 miles to a tank straight away. With an Ecotek on and some very sensible long-distance 70mph motorway driving Ive seen 330 miles out of a tankfull.

thats the thing, i dont drive that aggressively, oh well, ill do the basics first and see. it doesnt really matter about going into reserve does it ? because the reserve aux tank is before the main tank, so every time u fill up petrol goes thru the aux into the main, so there wouldnt be any oppertunity for it to get sludgely, cos its contantly been moved from refills ?

and spark plugs ? do high quality plugs and leads like splitfire really make a diff then ?

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Get around 600 to a tank.....its a Vectra diesel tho..LOL!

Was getting about 35 to the gallon from the 172, running in tho, until the gearbox went tits up after 685miles so for the last 2 weeks its be sitting in the dealer carpark waiting for a new one

BMW 320d Sport

Splitfire stuff is well overpriced and a total rip off. Dunno about other cars, but I cant think of many people who use Splitfire on their Clios...

Best leads are Magnecor, best plugs are Bosch Super 4 or apparently those Champion EON (but Ive not tried them myself)