ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel remaining displays: - - - -

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Hi guys,

loving my new 172 after a few days ownership. One little niggle I have with the car is the fuel remaining display on the trip computer.

All the other functions work fine but when I select the remaining fuel option i just get - - - - on the display.

Anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to fix it? Is it likely to be just a sensor gone or something more tricky?

Cheers

Dan

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Does it give you the mpg readings etc?

Yes the mpg works fine. Travel to santa pod and back on the weekend. Over 300 miles of motorway and a little A and B roads, i got 45 mpg:eek:.

My astra used to get 30 if i was lucky.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
how many miles u do?? does take about a mile or so to sort the MPG out

I know Burp had this problem on his 172 as well. Everything worked fine apart from the mileage remaining display - it just displayed '---'.

The way he fixed it was by accident, after he did a remap using the RSTuner, it worked again!

Golf GTD Mk7
There is another way to find out how much you have. Hold down the trip button for 2 sec, then turn the keys to ignition. You will hear beeping and the dials will move up and down. If you click the trip computer a few times there it a *L remaining. That doesn't go -------. Make sure you turn the ignition off before starting the car up though.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
There is another way to find out how much you have. Hold down the trip button for 2 sec, then turn the keys to ignition. You will hear beeping and the dials will move up and down. If you click the trip computer a few times there it a *L remaining. That doesn't go -------. Make sure you turn the ignition off before starting the car up though.

Well what you have described above works Jonny, hmmm, i wonder what it could be. 16 L is what the display says, about right for a 1/4 of a tank i would say.

Maybe it might work now i have done the above. We will see.

Golf GTD Mk7
no it won't work like that mate. You'll just have to do this check once the normal trip thing goes ------. Just to give you an indication of how much is left.

Another option is to take out some petrol in a can and see how far you get till the engine dies ;)

Peddled device
If you get ---- on the display take it as a warning that your very low on fuel.I had this on my 172 Cup when l bought it.It went from a range of 40 miles to ---- and l thought l had about 30 miles left....l ran out on the fast lane at 70 mph about 15 miles later :S

megane 225
take it petrol gauge and everything else works ok?
I have this on mine and was a dodgy fuel sender unit, however this also resulted in my petrol gauge spiking and then dropping

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
take it petrol gauge and everything else works ok?
I have this on mine and was a dodgy fuel sender unit, however this also resulted in my petrol gauge spiking and then dropping

Yea my gauge works fine, or I haven't noticed it going funny. Where is the fuel sender on the clio? In the tank?

megane 225
lift up the o/s passenger seat and you will see a black plastic cover, pull that off and there will be like a black screw cover, the fuel sender is held in by this (usually is a white see through-ish plastic)

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
^^^ thanks alot for the help mate. I may check it out, any ideas on the price of the fuel sender by any chance? If not I will ring renault and make sure i'm sitting down lol

SQ5
Mine does this too. Doesn't bother me to much as been driving it for a while so can guage how much I'll get on whats left!

Was annoying finding it didn't work few months back though!