ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full Battery, Still No Start

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not long ago the OEM battery got old and would wet itself, around the house I had a spare Optima Red Top battery from a previous project. It's quite large but fitted in the space of the old battery and is more than enough to crank the engine over. For a period of time, all had been fine and good without any issues. It spends its life on a Ctek 5.0 charger but recently the car developed an issue where checking the battery with a multimeter the battery is fine and healthy off charge has 13.x across the terminals. If I got to turn the key the car just clicks as if the battery is flat. If I connect the jumper pack and turn the key it fires first time. once running and checking the terminals I have a good strong charge going to the battery.

So I can't find any faults with the battery or charging system it just seems it doesn't want to start off the battery alone? I did recently have a random issue where the car started on its own and drove it to the garage, then come to start again and no matter how I jumped it, it didn't want to start which turned out to be the blue 15 amp fuse needed a good clean and bang it started off the battery pack again.

Now it seems the car can come off charge and won't start but if I pop the booster on it it will start first time. I have taken the negative off and tested for a drain and had a reading of below 0.46 which then went down and settled at 0.04 but it was still below .50 which what I could find is perfectly fine?

Any suggestions where to look now or what it could be, please?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
When you jump it are you connecting to both terminals or are you putting the negative on the engine block?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hmm does sound like the battery hasn’t got enough amperage to crank but unless you can get it to crank you won’t be able to test it.

Do you have a spare battery you can borrow?

Initially I was going to suggest a bad earth so you could check out the earth strap to the gearbox but the jump pack suggests that’s fine.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
It sounds like the battery has died. Had similar issue on the mrs blue meg, sat on trickle all winter, started twice when we got it out the garage and flat.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm thinking it could be dead then. It did sit in the garage for a long time and I done as the website suggested in reviving a dead battery but it seems to keep happening so I'm guessing its kicked the bucket. I tried sticking it on an old school charger for a good 24 hrs to see if that would help as I know with smart chargers the ampage can be too low for a smart charger to recognise it's connected up but that hasn't resolved it.

This is the problem with mine. I had to jump start it the other day even though it had started just fine not long before that. I left it a while, came back to and it starts right up. More than once this has happened now.