ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full or empty tank for better driving?

The answer seems obvious to this one, is it better (in performance terms) to have a full load of fuel, half, or virtually empty?

I ask because I've had mine down to a minimum a few times lately and especially at high speeds the car (172 Cup) feels less assured than it does with a load of fuel on board. I don't know what differences there are in weight terms between empty and full but I certainly notice quite a difference.

Hard to explain but the car just feels better with at least half a tank sloshing around inside it, and I have always thought that if anything it should be the other way round.

Performance will be better the least fuel you are carrying, obviously. Never noticed any stablity problems with a light fuel load - the opposite rings true in fact for me. The 172Cup is already way down on weight though so who knows

I never put in a full tank - most I'll run is a half tank when you go from an empty tank to a full tank - it feels a wee bit more planted but a wee bit more sluggish too in my experience.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
mine feels most rapid with little fuel and no passengers.....full tank and someone beside me makes the car feel slower.

Ford Fiesta
to be honest I always think it feels better after I have just filled it to the top. May well be just psychological.

Clio 172 CUP
mine goes better with a full tank as well, but it could be down to the fact that i don't fill it up very often

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
the car will feel increasingly nimble/agile and more rapid with less fuel...its fact.

106 GTi
Never filled mine up so cant comment! :clown:

Even with half a tank it does not feel as good as with a quarter. Much prefer it running light.

I've only a few time let my tank run empty and I could tell the difference (with just 65hp you can tell almost any change but I pefere a full tank to keep the back a bit more stable.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I find it quicker with less obviously, but I prefer driving with a full tank... everything just feels better.

Amboboy said:
Full tank=less stops to fill up=faster!!

;) I always fill it to the top and refill when I'm approaching the orange light - can't be arsed spending more time in filling stations if I can help it!

Can't say I notice much difference in the handling, but deffo "feels" a bit quicker when the fuel's almost gone.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Petrol doesn't like to be swooshed around...I can't explain it technically, but it's goes all foamy and then you end up havin problems with performance. We had this problem with the caterham so we filled the tank with foam.