ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full race slicks for track days

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I run the Federal RSRs all the time, they're cheap and cheerful and decent enough when its wet and quite acceptable in the dry

However I was considering getting some medium compound slicks for nice dry days on a spare set of rims. They're cheaper than R888 mediums, and the DZ03G only come in hard for the size I want.

I've only ever used slicks once a while ago on an experience day with my old workplace, it was a kit car and the tyres were already warmed up. So I can't compare that to a Clio at all!

I'm aware that driving on slicks is completely different so any help or advice is welcome, apart from "don't bother" replies.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Been very tempted to go the full slick route myself, the only warnings I've ever been given are dont even consider it without some kind of a cage, and it WILL put a lot more stress on the chassis and extended parts ( bushes, bearings etc ) so they will wear/fail a lot quicker. My mates got some for his Scooby that he's been waiting to try out and I've been waiting for some feedback from him but he hasnt managed to get out yet.

172 Track Car
We reckon the car is capable of low 2:40s when given the conditions, it's been round there in just over a 2:47 before. Those laps are about 3 mins

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
No need for a cage. Yes it will put more stress through the front end but if you refresh the front end then no issues.
They are dunlops I run. Lots of camber ont the front. Bit of toe out on the rear and away you go.
In france at the mo on mobile so will be able to go more in depth when I get back.oh and sort a link out.

Much better, its like going from Road tyres > semis all over again. Although on the Mk1s we noticed balljoints wore stupidly fast, and bearings much quicker. Depends on how hard you drive it I guess.

Cup In bits
No it will be grip grip grip then nothing which will by nature mean your are going a lot faster when things go wrong hence the organisers usually wanting only caged cars to run them.

Ph2 172
Some tracks/ organisers will insist on a cage if running slicks, so be aware. We had this issue arise a few years ago with the M3 track car that was taken too the track half way through being converted. And like others have said, bushes take a lot more abuse.

172 Track Car
No it will be grip grip grip then nothing which will by nature mean your are going a lot faster when things go wrong hence the organisers usually wanting only caged cars to run them.

I find slicks to be fairly progressive when hot. Worse than road tyres but not as bad as people make out. When cold on the other hand....

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Also- is there any positives, or even negatives, to just running a pair of front slicks to see how they fayre? With a view to getting all 4?

Or do you need a full set so the rear acts in the same as the front?

406 V6, Race Buggy
Rolling a car is fairly difficult

Old post to reply to I know but since the thread is bumped - rolling a car is very easy indeed. I've seen people do it at not much more than walking pace with enough grip, more than once. You just need to clip the edge of a kerb or a dip on the apex. Ask my friend with his arm missing 'cause he had the window open at the time...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Also- is there any positives, or even negatives, to just running a pair of front slicks to see how they fayre? With a view to getting all 4?

Or do you need a full set so the rear acts in the same as the front?

I'd be running the same type of tyres all round.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yeah full set, its a myth that Clio's can't get heat into the rears, if you can't you haven't pushed on enough or there's something seriously wrong with your geo

and just treat them with respect, I find once warm they let go no differently to a semi provided your on the ball and feel the grip giving up on the limit.