ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres for wet track days

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Hi just wondering what tyres people are using on wet track days.

I’m running AR-1’s for the dry but I really don’t know for wets.

I was thinking uniroyal because I used them in the road years ago and they were really good.

But I’m stumped. Just after a bit of advice really. Oh and I don’t want to go throwing money on something silly expensive or absolutely crap for them not to be used loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
I’ve never really thought a ps tyre would be a good wet tyre. Always seen them as more if a summer/dry tyre

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve never really thought a ps tyre would be a good wet tyre. Always seen them as more if a summer/dry tyre

Rainsport 5’s on my van during this (very!) wet track day.
Did me fine glued to the back of a 182! 😂

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I will say though, that Rainsports whilst amazing in standing water and a very wet track, will literally shred themselves as soon as the track starts drying out.

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
I will say though, that Rainsports whilst amazing in standing water and a very wet track, will literally shred themselves as soon as the track starts drying out.

Thanks for the video and the advice. Really appreciated. To be honest if the track started drying out I’d more then likely park up for a bit, swap wheels and go back out you know

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Try and find some 2nd hand race wets. I've used mine for the first time today at a very wet donington and they were incredible

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I was gunna go with PS3’s purely based on Ginetta Juniors using them whatever the weather, I only want to run 2 sets of wheels so it’s hard getting 2 sets that cover all conditions.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Try and find some 2nd hand race wets. I've used mine for the first time today at a very wet donington and they were incredible

I'd love to try some but with not trailering the car, I think 3 sets of wheels is a bit ott 😂

One to drive there on road tyres, then slicks, then race wets.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I was gunna go with PS3’s purely based on Ginetta Juniors using them whatever the weather, I only want to run 2 sets of wheels so it’s hard getting 2 sets that cover all conditions.
I have ps3s and always seems like people on rainsports are getting much more grip when it's really wet

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have ps3s and always seems like people on rainsports are getting much more grip when it's really wet

I was on the fence between PS3’s and Rainsports but since doing semi regular “summer” Trackdays over the last 6 years I’ve only had one full wet day, all other non full dry days have been that shitty greasy in between stage for a lot of the day which I feel PS3’s would be better for? Obviously all my days this year it will piss it down now lol

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have 3 sets 🤦‍♂️ 888R’s for dry and Federal RSR and rainsports for the wet days.
I have had the rainsports about 3 or 4 years now but not used them on track.

The RSR is a decent tyre as it copes with rain surprisingly well, it is not as grippy as a “normal” road tyre would be but in changing conditions it’s great as it still works when it’s drying out so you are not constantly changing wheels.

I would only take the rainsports if I knew it was going to hammer down all day as I think they are a bit too soft.

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
I have 3 sets [emoji2357] 888R’s for dry and Federal RSR and rainsports for the wet days.
I have had the rainsports about 3 or 4 years now but not used them on track.

The RSR is a decent tyre as it copes with rain surprisingly well, it is not as grippy as a “normal” road tyre would be but in changing conditions it’s great as it still works when it’s drying out so you are not constantly changing wheels.

I would only take the rainsports if I knew it was going to hammer down all day as I think they are a bit too soft.

I’ve had rsr’s on my old vxr on the road all year round. I thought they were really good.

I used them on track last year on my clio, they did well. But about 3/4 way through the day I noticed that they were splitting over the tread as if the tread was about to peel off. And I’ll be honest it’s knocked my confidence in them now

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had rsr’s on my old vxr on the road all year round. I thought they were really good.

I used them on track last year on my clio, they did well. But about 3/4 way through the day I noticed that they were splitting over the tread as if the tread was about to peel off. And I’ll be honest it’s knocked my confidence in them now

If you have a google its a common thing but never read about a failure

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Thanks for all your replies guys. Think I’m gonna try the rain sports now. I’ll have them ordered pay day. And get them in the spare wheels then. Thanks guys

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Thread hijack!
Need to get a set of wets for Blyton on 30th July.
Hopefully stays dry but with this weather forecast who knows.

I’ve got a set of new ad08r on at the moment and have a set of NS2R on the spare set however these only have a day at best left in them so don’t want to risk it and ruin the day if it lashes it down.

I’m thinking PS3 as it’s not likely to rain ALL day but possibly heavy showers so the track will be changing. Not sure if the RS5 will just shred as it starts to dry out.
NS2R good all rounder but maybe not to dis similar to the AD08R?

PS3, RS5 or NS2R?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Toyo R1R for anything other than dry/damp
Nankang AR1 for dry

But it all depends on spring rates and damper settings really

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Whatever you take with you, prepare yourself mentally for the fact that you’ll probably turn the OSF one bald

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
You reckon the ad08r will hold out well in the dry?
I would get a set of AR1 but priority is a set for wet with this crappy weather

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You reckon the ad08r will hold out well in the dry?
I would get a set of AR1 but priority is a set for wet with this crappy weather
If it’s dry with decent track temps, you’ll get half a dozen good laps, then they’ll start to overheat and slide around.

Ive used all the Yokohama family, this is what you’d expect from each track tyre.

AD08R - good novice circuit tyre. Good for half a dozen dry laps before going off. They will fall to pieces if you stay out too long. Not bad in damp conditions if you get heat into them.

A052 - you see more of these in racing now. Very good in damp and dry conditions. Optimum grip for 15 or so laps before going off, but you can easily stay out and manage them. Intermediate tyre. They’re not reinforced like 50s and once you reach the wear indicators, they’ll delaminate.

A050 - proper racing tyre. Better than A052s in dry warm track conditions. Lethal in the wet. Can grip in dampish conditions if the circuit is warm and you’ve got heat in them, but you’d use A052s for that. Reinforced side walls.