ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

full respray price ideas??

Clio 182 Cup
Wanting any rough ideas on afull respray in the north west currently rb thinking either repaint same colour or liquid yellow.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Do you just want the outside doing or do you want it stripping and having the bare shell painted?

if you can. Strip it yourself then ask for it to be painted, may save you some money but I'd expect ~£2k upwards

clio 182 trophy
Anywhere from £1.5k-£2.5k depends how far your wanting to go and where you take it.

How did the lad with the red replica clio do his for 60 quid the other day? I know his mate has the body shop garage but surely at those prices the paint must be hundreds?

How did the lad with the red replica clio do his for 60 quid the other day? I know his mate has the body shop garage but surely at those prices the paint must be hundreds?

Thats probably cheaper than the cost of paint alone, let alone top coat, flatting back and all the other small things that go into painting that people dont realise.

Be lucky to get a bumper sprayed for that kind of money TBH.

I looked into getting a few bits done on mine the other day. Roof, bonnet, front wings, front bumper and rear bumper £450+VAT. Same colour though.

clio 182 trophy
Thats probably cheaper than the cost of paint alone, let alone top coat, flatting back and all the other small things that go into painting that people dont realise.

Be lucky to get a bumper sprayed for that kind of money TBH.

I know I couldn't work out how nobody replied with f**k me that's cheap as f**k. He did the whole car and it looks very tidy fair play. I have been quoted 200+ for my door FFS.

Didnt he build a makeshift paint booth with polythene as walls etc if thats the one your on about?

Im guessing that the £60 would be a very cheap 'cost price' for paint and top coat then no labour charges and didnt have to pay for any thing like spray gun etc so might make sense.

clio 182 trophy
Didnt he build a makeshift paint booth with polythene as walls etc if thats the one your on about?

Im guessing that the £60 would be a very cheap 'cost price' for paint and top coat then no labour charges and didnt have to pay for any thing like spray gun etc so might make sense.

Yeah that's the one but having all the equipment aside, still bloody cheap, even as a favor.

i paid £450 for the rear quarter boot lid and blown into the door. imo if its under £2k its going to be poor or you have good mates.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
zy9yta2e.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Paid £550 for a complete respray in a new colour including door shuts etc. (but not engine bay) had the car for about 5 years and still looked good when I got rid of it... shop around!

Pretty much what Gally posted.

According to CS you can get a "Mint, better than factory" respray for £500 and paying £2k is "ludicrous".

i paid £450 for the rear quarter boot lid and blown into the door. imo if its under £2k its going to be poor or you have good mates.

Not going to get into a argument/debate, as this is usually the way these 'how much will it cost' threads go but i totally disagree.

Its all about shopping about, getting first hand experience reviews and looking for the best deal. The place i'd take mine would be M-tech in Hastings and have heard so many good things and seen the work they produce and its pretty good pricing, no where near 2k more like 1-1.5k for a Clio depending on colour, amount of prep work etc

182 Cup, DC2, E500
I am amazed you can get a full respray for £500.

I've had loads of cars painted, my last being my Integra DC2 which through my mate was around 2K. That did need some light welding and had some additional items like Wurth stonechipping all the inner arches etc, plus he knows I'm a fussy arse!

Most painters in London seem to charge between £150 to £200 a panel. I guess these costs would come down the further north you go, but £500 for the whole car including the prep, paint, finish and materials is unreal. Impressive if you can get it though!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not going to get into a argument/debate, as this is usually the way these 'how much will it cost' threads go but i totally disagree.

Its all about shopping about, getting first hand experience reviews and looking for the best deal. The place i'd take mine would be M-tech in Hastings and have heard so many good things and seen the work they produce and its pretty good pricing, no where near 2k more like 1-1.5k for a Clio depending on colour, amount of prep work etc

If I'm getting my car totally resprayed, I want the best Job not the best deal.

Search my thread on 'Naples restoration man' (I can't as I'm on my phone)

A£500 respray will be fine for done people, but I guarantee most 'enthusiasts' could pick numerous faults with that standard of work.

(Mates rates are not applicable to my opinion as they can vary so much! Lol)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

Spot on really. If you compared my £550 respray to a £2,000 respray you could probably pick some holes in it... but to me it's similar to a quick blast over the jet wash compared to having a full detail, I'm honestly not that bothered. To me, my car looked really fresh and lasted me years then I sold it on. It's not like a car lasts forever, there's always something else I want to try. I was very happy and kept £1,500 in my pocket :)

If I owned something £10,000+ then yes I'd certainly look at getting the best job going... but the car that I spent £550 on was only worth a couple of grand anyway, I wan't about to spend that price again on it!

Search my thread on 'Naples restoration man' (I can't as I'm on my phone)

A£500 respray will be fine for done people, but I guarantee most 'enthusiasts' could pick numerous faults with that standard of work.

(Mates rates are not applicable to my opinion as they can vary so much! Lol)

I didn't say £500 though dude ;)

How did you get on with the ph1 stuff btw?

182Trophy , Timmsy .

Just to clear the air;
-my old man works in a wood factory, so we built the booth frame out of wood and polythene.
-my uncle works at a paint suppliers, so we got it dirt cheap. We used 2k to keep to costs down as I didn't want to go mad on a 1.2.
-my old man had a compressor, spray gun... Etc so we used them. (He bought it all to restore his classic mini, so I jumped on that)

The finish is far from perfect, I'll hold my hands up to that. But for roughly £60, it looks better than the scratched, faded, peeling pink the car was :).

172 Cup & Black Ph1
you pay for what you get most of the time £1000 job is always going to better than 500 even if the top finish is the same its not just about that its about the prep underneath and its that bit what needs to be right anyone can throw laquer on ;) i never give out a standard rate as every job is different if anyone would like a quote then give me a shout :D

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, the cost is the prep, not the paint. decent prep (no buckets of filler) costs a lot as it take a lot of time

I paid 3.2k for my respray a few years back but that was full hit in and out and some welding, including a new roof skin fitting.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
you pay for what you get most of the time £1000 job is always going to better than 500 even if the top finish is the same its not just about that its about the prep underneath and its that bit what needs to be right anyone can throw laquer on ;) i never give out a standard rate as every job is different if anyone would like a quote then give me a shout :D

You got that unit yet? B1LLRS

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@Timmsy your quote seems good mate. There are some good bodyshops down your way. Had a customer down there getting quotes left right and centre once. That's roughly what I'm looking to pay to get a sport kit sprayed I reckon.

As has been said though there are a thousand more things that go into painting than most people think. Just the price of abralon pads to key the surface is rather a lot. Audi pearls can be over £1000 a litre. It also depends on what paint they are using. Having been on a Dupont course the difference between their commercial and their top notch european paint is huge and so is the cost. Someone with no hands and blind could lay on their best paint and get a floorless finish. Filters in the booth need to be replaced often, suits only used once or twice, the booth heating. All those things are expensive and often forgotten.

If you don't mind paying, places that are PAS125 approved are a fairly surefire way of getting a bang on job.

@Timmsy your quote seems good mate. There are some good bodyshops down your way. Had a customer down there getting quotes left right and centre once. That's roughly what I'm looking to pay to get a sport kit sprayed I reckon.

Certainly is a good quote! Missus had her Civic EP3 in there the other day to have drivers rear wing, rear bumper and some dents pulled (no idea on cost as was an insurance job) the finish is spot on though and im very impressed, needless to say i'll be taking mine there once i have everything else sorted and the cash to get it painted