ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FWD sucks, so here’s a RWD project (MX-5 NC)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have a brand new water/meth cooling mist kit with progressive controller that might be of use to you? Also have twin nozzle set up with it.

Why it is, makes the power I want and delivers it why better than a Rotrex?

If it was already installed, on a standard car, and you wanted to squeeze a bit extra out of it, then thats one thing, but you're speccing what you want in advance and its currently sat on the floor of your house and you've already decided the power it can sensibly deliver isnt enough.

If you were speccing a turbo build for 290BHP, would you start with a T3 and add water injection and everything else, or just select a turbo which will do 290 somewhere within the efficient island?

It's the wrong size of blower for 290BHP, but because of supercharger availablility and the fact that it "bolts on", you'll use it anyway and then scream the nuts off it and fix the issues that causes with intake temps with band aids until you get annoyed with never actually finishing a trackday

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If it was already installed, on a standard car, and you wanted to squeeze a bit extra out of it, then thats one thing, but you're speccing what you want in advance and its currently sat on the floor of your house and you've already decided the power it can sensibly deliver isnt enough.

If you were speccing a turbo build for 290BHP, would you start with a T3 and add water injection and everything else, or just select a turbo which will do 290 somewhere within the efficient island?

It's the wrong size of blower for 290BHP, but because of supercharger availablility and the fact that it "bolts on", you'll use it anyway and then scream the nuts off it and fix the issues that causes with intake temps with band aids until you get annoyed with never actually finishing a trackday
The M62 is good enough to send Rodney out of the block. It'll do for me.

I could hang £3k worth of TVS off the side, get someone to fab me up an intake manifold for another 1k, and spend hours stratching my head on where the hell the belt would go and still bend the rods with slightly colder 12psi air.

Regardless of spend on the charger, I'm doing this on a bone stock 121k mile MZR 2.0, it'll put a leg out of bed, so I may as well do something different while blowing it up.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New shiney bit!

Racing beat manifold. Good bit of kit for £450.

Quote for a custom on to the same specs was £1000.

A3A8BBFB-94E9-46E1-AEF0-0BFA868CCEA0.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you thought about running Nitro in the water/meth system, might pick up a few ponies and take you over the 300 mark?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Have you thought about running Nitro in the water/meth system, might pick up a few ponies and take you over the 300 mark?
It'll do 300 without meth. Once.

I'll be happy with 280 with just water tbh.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New brakes all round now and some new PS4’s fitted.

Donnington on Saturday, it’s going to take an age to get around with 150bhp....

Swift Sport
Be interesting to see how you get on... Mine felt reasonably quick, by my standards at least. There wasn't much catching me and I was having a good battle with a Mini Challenge race car. Hopefully yours impresses you.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
It’s f**king awesome.

So so so slow but awesome at maintaining corner speed.

1:32 on Donny National with road tyres and 150bhp isn’t to be sniffed at!

I think, after using it now, it needs a 2.5 conversion with around 230bhp and it’ll be perfect.

Swift Sport
Yeah I think I was doing 1:28/1:29's from what I remember, but maybe the exhaust and Ohlins made the difference as I was on s**t tyres.
I'm considering another for sprinting this year, along with 7168 other cars.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yeah I think I was doing 1:28/1:29's from what I remember, but maybe the exhaust and Ohlins made the difference as I was on s**t tyres.
I'm considering another for sprinting this year, along with 7168 other cars.
1:29.1 now. Has a bit more in it but getting a clear run is impossible.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Sit rep:

Car survived just fine. Only taken 0.8mm off the PS4’s in 84 laps!!

It needs 100bhp more to be interesting, at the moment even with road tyres, it’s break, turn, full throttle, turn more, go round corner with no drama. There’s no fun in that!

M1166 pads just never stop giving either, well impressed with those as most give them a bad rep. The new discs are completely blue, so they’ve been taking some hammering. I’ll await the photos.

End of the day it POURED down and it was only 6 secs slower and still pulling 1g through Craners.

Peak G of the day through there was 1.3, which is mental for a road tyre!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Your selling the supercharger though aren’t you? What’s the plan for the extra 100hp? I don’t think anyone’s going to argue it needs it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Your selling the supercharger though aren’t you? What’s the plan for the extra 100hp? I don’t think anyone’s going to argue it needs it.
Build a 2.5 for it.

Should get away with a stock bottom end, mild cams and throttle bodies.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Some one buy this, will take crazy offers.

Even washed it today...

8D62B0C2-7F7D-4783-93DE-8B6E57114C35.jpeg

A0070B98-C6FB-4810-8205-955F7700249F.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Went on eBay last summer, just check his previous threads.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
how you finding the RRS? Running well or had any issues?
Depends how you view it...

Its 2 years old, done 62k miles and averaged 33mpg over that period.

It had an issue with rear brakes, local dealer fixed it then told me it wasn’t a warranty fix as I do a fair bit off road... I was presented with a £6300 bill. In the end I paid £800 of it.

Other than that it’s has been fantastic, first set of tyres even lasted 50k miles!!

Reactions: seb