ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaining Knowledge

Hi everyone,

As you probably can tell i dont really know alot about cars, but i am very keen to learn more coz im still young. How/where did you lot gain you knowledge from?

I am interested in both the mechanical and bodywork sides, but where do i start? Are there any books out there that you would recommend reading, i would love a job in a bodyshop but need some basic knowledge before trying to get one.

I would then be able to do mods and repairs to my car to save me some money.

Cheers, Phil

Read your Haynes manual it will give you some insight. Do a few of the simple tasks yourself and dont be too proud to ask others.

I have been doing mechanics for around 20 years and still have alot to learn . There are some very knowledgeble people on here and are real enthusiasts who are more than willing to share their knowledge.:)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Clio_novice on 08 March 2003

As you probably can tell i dont really know alot about cars, but i am very keen to learn more coz im still young. How/where did you lot gain you knowledge from?
I am interested in both the mechanical and bodywork sides, but where do i start? Are there any books out there that you would recommend reading, i would love a job in a bodyshop but need some basic knowledge before trying to get one.

I would then be able to do mods and repairs to my car to save me some money.
If you want to learn more and save some money on repairs, THEN WHY DONT YOU BECOME A MECHANIC?

You can get all your work done for free then!!

GR - I cant become a mechanic because i know sweet FA and you need some basic knowledge to get a job, and i dont wana be a mechanic i want to work in a bodyshop.

Mike - I do read through it abit, but then i am too scared to try anything on my car incase i fcuk it up and end up with a bill greater than the cost of what i was trying to do.

Where can i find info out on doing bodywork??

ok yeah i think youre (like i was) only scared of doing a job if you dont know the function of the components(s) youre touching.

imean, you dont need to get too techie about things like changing plugs / oil etc, but if you dont understand the mechanics behind it you wont be 100%sure you cant do lasting damage to your car.

me, i learnt by having 2 bangers as first cars, a mk2 fezzie that i got for free, and a v. reliable old shape C-plate micra which i used to gain the mechanical understanding - i carried out just about every job with it, includeing cambelt swaps, clutch change, cly. head recon / swap. and i hadnt done any of these before!

its a case of learn as you go to an extent, but it really helped reading the overviews at the beginning of each haynes chapter, and reading the ob over about 10 times (almost so you know it off by heart!) so you can be sure you understand what you are doing.

dont be afraid to ask on here, no-one minds cos we all started in the same place!

steve

To become a good bodywork person you still need to read alot of material ie:

Different paints,Chemicals,Methodolgy,Techniques, etc. Im not a bodywork person but my mate is and he spent 4 years at college to learn how to do it properly. The stuff he turns out is superb!

SteveRT has some good advice in his thread.(so do the others). If your really interested go to a body shop and ask one of the staff how they got started and what to read. I know I would be stoked if someone asked me (if i knew that area) and would gladly give them advice.

When I started I made some right messes! They looked worse after I finished them!!!!!!

Good luck

Mike

my best mistake was when i put a new cyl head on...spent 2 days reconning it (skimmed, new springs / stem seals / etc...) and then put it on the micra. everything apparently done, i went to start her, and she just misfired, occasionally backfiring in the carb! i was mortified and bitterly dissaponted that i had f**ked up such a major job, and had obviously broken something

my mechanic uncle came round the following day and looked at it, and i have not been so embarassed as when he simply swapped all the HTs so they were the other way round, and she started first time (thought no1 cyl. was distributor end).

shows how you learn from your mistakes, and you cant beat hands on experience!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I studied motor vehicle engineering at college for a year before moving onto IT. They did courses in bodywork as well as the engineering side. Think they did evening ones as well as full time courses. Because of the fact that its a bit expensive to buy in cars, they prefered it if students brought in their own to work on. So you could see if theres a college or uni near you that does similar courses where you can learn your stuff.

Other than that, buy a banger if youve got enough space and rip the engine apart. Get something thats easy to work on like an old XR2 or something and start learning.

Rick

I got my car in September, my first car. I knew FA about anything, i wouldnt say im an expert by any means but doing the sh*tty jobs has helped me loads. Asking is the best thing to do, talk to everyone you know. Working at halfords makes it quite easy for me, but just ask.

BMW 320d Sport

I just taught myself and learnt off of people I knew, asked questions when I didnt know the answer, eventually got to the stage where I could actually understand the Haynes manual, and in particular, I only concentrated on one car, the Clio 16v. When I look at other engines I still sometimes take a bit of time figuring out which bit is which! but the valver engine bay I know back to front now. Dont be embarassed to ask mechanics for an explanation if you take the car into a garage for work, anything you need to know can be answered on these forums as well.

I still wouldnt say Im any sort of mechanic, I can do most jobs on my valver and then to my joy found out that I am now able to work on my Fiat as well, but it just takes a lot of practice, taking stuff apart and putting it together again, understanding what an engine needs to work etc.

Just the other day I was thinking to myself, I wonder why when you press the accelerator it actually makes the revs increase, how can just opening the throttle do that? I figured it out after a couple of minutes thinking, but it was quite a revelation!

after reading this thread what can i say take ya time dont be scared to ask and av a go ya self. any problems and this is the place to get sum answers.bondy

BMW 320d Sport

LOL Ben...well as I said it didnt take me that long to figure it out. I suppose I just never really thought about it before. Like you dont wonder why the car goes left when you turn the wheel to the left! It just does.