ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming PC......this any good for £881

PH1
My lad has just decided he wants a pc for game playing off Santa, I know bugger all about computers, other than the fact they show pictures of pretty ladies!!!!

Is this worth the money, from the good old land of eeeebayyyy!

Case : Galaxy 3 Gamers Style Midi Tower Case
Motherboard : Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard Technology
CPU : Intel Ivy Bridge I7 3770K Unlocked CPU
Hard Drive : 2tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2gb GDDR5 with HDMI
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit With DVD and License
Power Supply : 750 Watt Branded Power Supply
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer Sata DVD Writer
1 Year Collect and Return Warranty ( Upgradeable to 3 Years

Thanks

PH1
Is this a better option then @ £695
Case : Vantage White Gamers Style Midi Tower Case
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard Technology
CPU : Intel I5 2500K Unlocked CPU
Hard Drive : 1TB Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1333 Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 560TI 1gb GDDR5
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with DVD and License

Fiesta ST
Get an SSD hard drive even though this will give you less capacity it's much faster. Use an traditional HDD as an extra drive for storage of files. Upgrade the GTX if you can.

PH1
If you spec one up on Aria, they will build it for you before shipping it out.

I have just tried Aria, getting it almost identical to the top system and they came in at £1006

I also popped over to Scan today and they would built the same unit for £855, so that a little better.

F82 M4
My lad has just decided he wants a pc for game playing off Santa, I know bugger all about computers, other than the fact they show pictures of pretty ladies!!!!

Is this worth the money, from the good old land of eeeebayyyy!

Case : Galaxy 3 Gamers Style Midi Tower Case
CPU : Intel Ivy Bridge I7 3770K Unlocked CPU
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2gb GDDR5 with HDMI
1 Year Collect and Return Warranty ( Upgradeable to 3 Years

Thanks

If I was you mate I would -

Change the i7 to an i5 3750k (No need for i7 if it's for gaming)
Reduce the 2TB HDD to 1TB and have a 120GB SSD as well
Reduce the RAM to 8GB (No need for more for gaming)

Use the money saved on a better graphics card

PH1
If I was you mate I would -

Change the i7 to an i5 3750k (No need for i7 if it's for gaming)
Reduce the 2TB HDD to 1TB and have a 120GB SSD as well
Reduce the RAM to 8GB (No need for more for gaming)

Use the money saved on a better graphics card

Taking onboard your advice, maybe not all at once though, this looks like the winner??
Case : Aero Cool Syclone II Gaming Case With Side Window
CPU : Intel Ivy Bridge I5 3570K Unlocked CPU
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1333 Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2gb GDDR5 with HDMI
1 Year Return To Base Warranty ( Upgradeable to 3 Years )
This comes in at £981

Its his birthday in April so will put the SSD in then....................

Last edited:
  F82 M4
May I ask how old your lad is mate? A GTX 680 is a very expensive and high end card for serious enthusiasts. I really couldn't justify spending nearly £1000 and not having an SSD and named brands with everything. If your lad is just looking for a gaming PC that will play any game going there's no need to spend that much money on one.

Is your lad pretty clued up with the top spec and looking for a very high end PC now? What about a monitor? Do you really want to spend this much on one now?

Just trying to help mate and make sure you get the best for your money. :)

Last edited:
  RX7 FD
Just looking at the last pc spec you posted.

I would definitely drop the ram to 8 GB but look at a higher clockspeed. 1600mhz for example. It might not seem like much but every little helps!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
8GB is fine as most games are cross platform these days and don't take advantage of the higher headroom on both the onboard gfx memory and motherboard memory that a lot of PCs have.

I've got 18GB in my PC - but only picked up the extra 12GB over the stock 6GB I had, because I got it dirt cheap off a m8. :)

D.

Nice spec but I'd get a ATI 7970 over a 680 - save a hundred or two.

I'd also go for Gigabyte Z77 board as well - it's a top performer and comes highly recommended and will probably also save you a bit.

(This is assuming the comments above about going to 1Tb/SSD/8Gb RAM also).

Evo 5 RS
May I ask how old your lad is mate? A GTX 680 is a very expensive and high end card for serious enthusiasts. I really couldn't justify spending nearly £1000 and not having an SSD and named brands with everything. If your lad is just looking for a gaming PC that will play any game going there's no need to spend that much money on one.

Is your lad pretty clued up with the top spec and looking for a very high end PC now? What about a monitor? Do you really want to spend this much on one now?

Just trying to help mate and make sure you get the best for your money. :)

lol, only because you want one.

Don't forget he's probably not going to be getting a new machine any time soon, he's obviously fairly young so it needs to last a while. Definitely worth adding an SSD for a bit extra though.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Would defiantly add SSD now, rather than later. Just makes it more of a hassle adding it at a later date.

Pretty cheap now for one with a 500/mb read and write speed.

F82 M4
Yeah, that's the same point I'm trying to make with his son being a new PC gamer. He's a young lad, I can't see him needing to squeeze every last bit of FPS out of a game with full AA etc. Much cheaper cards will be absolutely fine for the next couple of years, a 7950 for example. He could always crossfire that in a year or 2 and smash anything in the future. I'm using 2 x 570's now and there's nothing it can't devour and I'm still expecting it to be fine for the next couple of years. Also remember, what if your son doesn't end up enjoying PC gaming? Then you'll have a £1000 paper weight! :cool:

PH1

He's 15 and already has both xbox n ps3, he (read his mates) have decided that the only way to play games now is on a pc!!!!
I'm just being guided by people that have more knowledge/experience in this field than I have, I'm just paying for it. The dilema is I've got to get something thats seen as "acceptable" by his peers and will keep him amused for the next 12/18months.
The absolute budget is 1k and I just want to get the best I can for that.

Why couldn't he want a car/bike/scooter, in fact anything with an engine?????
Big thanks to all that have left their views, it really is aprieciated.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
He's 15 and already has both xbox n ps3, he (read his mates) have decided that the only way to play games now is on a pc!!!!
I'm just being guided by people that have more knowledge/experience in this field than I have, I'm just paying for it. The dilema is I've got to get something thats seen as "acceptable" by his peers and will keep him amused for the next 12/18months.
The absolute budget is 1k and I just want to get the best I can for that.

Why couldn't he want a car/bike/scooter, in fact anything with an engine?????
Big thanks to all that have left their views, it really is aprieciated.

The younger generation are finally seeing the light!!! :cool:

D.

This > http://www.ebuyer.com/390716-intel-...77-v-motherboard-intel-i7-intel-enthusiast-v2 combined with a nice case, sdd raid array, and a good power supply. Upgrade a 7 year old computer at work today, by putting a ssd in and sticking windows 7 on. Fires up in about 30 secs and shutdown in five. Also wrote a script to open all apps on the computer (windows apps + office 2010) and opened all these within 40 secs, still usable after as well!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
well the links I posted will be fine for the next 2 years and is obviously upgradable if he decided he needed more power (which he wont). In terms of best performance, the cyberpower has a ATI GTX660 which is better then the chillblast which has a Radeon 7770. In terms of credibility, and I5, 8Gb ram and a ATI GTX660 is fairly credible imo. If he wants slightly better performance on load times, get a SSD drive (SATA-3 128GB drives are currently being sold on ebuyer for less than £50 (orange Thursday deals). T-6Months, he will be out of games and into the ladies anyway...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
This > http://www.ebuyer.com/390716-intel-...77-v-motherboard-intel-i7-intel-enthusiast-v2 combined with a nice case, sdd raid array, and a good power supply. Upgrade a 7 year old computer at work today, by putting a ssd in and sticking windows 7 on. Fires up in about 30 secs and shutdown in five. Also wrote a script to open all apps on the computer (windows apps + office 2010) and opened all these within 40 secs, still usable after as well!

Don't buy this, you can get all the parts separately for £50 to £100 cheaper.

Having SSD's in RAID is absolutely pointless for everyday use!

Evo 5 RS
Why would you get two vertex 2 drives which are sata 3gb/s when you can have a single vertex 3 that has the same throughput?

Vertex 2 drives also have a terrible failure rate. Worst in the industry actually.

Evo 5 RS
Vertex 3 RAID on a decent controller on the other hand. I don't think they really test the bus limitations properly

captureuz.jpg

F82 M4
To be honest Macca that last system you posted with the 680 is actually quite a good deal as 680's are close to £400 (depending on brand.) Find out what brand the PSU, 680 and RAM is and report back. If it's possible for you to drop the RAM to 8GB and drop the HDD to 1TB it would leave roughly enough for an SSD. Then, that's a winner in my opinion.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not wanted to really hijack, but what's a good SSD at the minute, chaps? I'd want it for the Win8 O/S and a select Steam install. Currently still using a SATA3 1TB drive and haven't popped my SSD cherry yet.

D.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not wanted to really hijack, but what's a good SSD at the minute, chaps? I'd want it for the Win8 O/S and a select Steam install. Currently still using a SATA3 1TB drive and haven't popped my SSD cherry yet.

D.

I really like the OCZ Agility 3s, 525mb read and 475mb write speeds. Bargains these days.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Meh! All work pcs run the agility series and we have had no failures. Will continue to use them.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I use the OCZ A3 series, have had no problems thus far but I haven't had it long. Performance is very good.