ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming PC

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Guys, after a little bit of input, looks like my lads is now looking for a gaming PC for xmas, (i know last minute) it doesn't have to be all singing and dancing, will be running games like fortnite, PUBG, rainbow seige, doesn't need to be graphics heavy, although he does have a nice monitor now, don't need a keyboard or mouse.

Can someone give me some base specs of what to look for, i am so out of touch with computers and processors and graphics cards etc, probably pay up to £800.00 for the right computer, i know that's not alot for a gaming pc, but will it get me something half decent?

Thanks

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I've actually just thrown an advert for a custom one I've built else where seconds ago, I'll just paste the advert. Looking for £599

Brand new custom built gaming pc, perfect for full HD gaming. SSD installed for speed, system boots up from an off state in seconds.

Optional additions:
More storage
Wifi
Please ask if either are required

Specs:
RGB LED case with glass side panel
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 6 core processor
16gb Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX
Asus RX560 Radeon 4gb Graphics Card
240gb solid state drive
Windows 10 Home

Please note this is for the computer only, a monitor, keyboard and mouse will be required.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 104

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to revive an old thread...my 10’year old is gaming mad and has asked for a Gaming PC for his birthday! Understanding these can be many thousands! And that I know know nothing of the kit nowadays. What can people recommend as a good starter or what I should be looking for used. He has an expensive keyboard and mouse. Like the OP he is looking for something to play the usual mine craft, Fortnite and other similar games.

help me out please!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Sorry to revive an old thread...my 10’year old is gaming mad and has asked for a Gaming PC for his birthday! Understanding these can be many thousands! And that I know know nothing of the kit nowadays. What can people recommend as a good starter or what I should be looking for used. He has an expensive keyboard and mouse. Like the OP he is looking for something to play the usual mine craft, Fortnite and other similar games.

help me out please!
What's the budget?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S

help me out please!
Obviously start by saying depends on: budget, new/pre owned and whether you want to built it yourself.
Websites like Overclockers and SCAN offer filtering based on performance etc so this should give you an idea of what you get for the money.
SCAN have a useful infographic showing what each card is ideal for and the kind of resolution you can expect.
1613991730490.png

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
To be honest I get lost in all the model names! Frankly I don’t know what he needs... it’s like asking my wife to buy me car parts! No clue.

budget wise under £500 I guess, so I expect I will be looking at used.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
If you are looking at less than £500 i think you would be better off looking at second hand, is it going to be used on a Monitor or Tv? unfortunately £500 these days doesn't go very far for a gaming PC, obvious question, but wouldn't you be better buying a new gen console?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
If you are looking at less than £500 i think you would be better off looking at second hand, is it going to be used on a Monitor or Tv? unfortunately £500 these days doesn't go very far for a gaming PC, obvious question, but wouldn't you be better buying a new gen console?
He has all the consoles mate, a PS5 will be bought once they become more available...that will sit in the lounge mind as I will be using that.

absolutely appreciate it will be used. Which is fine, he has an old work laptop currently he uses for school work and some games. He doesn’t need something like some of these fat nerds use. That would likely end up with the little blighter never moving out of home. I’d like him to f**k off at some point. 😂

so if I was working to the budget, what is going to be the best options? What should I be looking out for used?

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Loads better equipped on here to give you ideas mate, but i would think at £500 you are going to struggle to run the latest games in anything more than 1080p at 60fps, which is like xbox one territory.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
He has all the consoles mate, a PS5 will be bought once they become more available...that will sit in the lounge mind as I will be using that.

absolutely appreciate it will be used. Which is fine, he has an old work laptop currently he uses for school work and some games. He doesn’t need something like some of these fat nerds use. That would likely end up with the little blighter never moving out of home. I’d like him to f**k off at some point. 😂

so if I was working to the budget, what is going to be the best options? What should I be looking out for used?
We're not all fat

I'll have a nearly new Thermaltake case with fans and a brand new window and a decent EVGA 600w power supply spare in a couple of weeks that would do you. £60 and they're yours.

I'd just get a new motherboard £50-60, ram £50-60, used CPU for circa £120, new 1TB SSD £80 (you can always get a second one later on for more space).

That leaves £120-140 for a graphics card. You might be able to get a 4gb RX480, GTX1060 or something for that money. GPUs are difficult to get hold of at the moment.

That would play minecraft no problem plus quite a few other games in 1080p

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
We're not all fat

I'll have a nearly new Thermaltake case with fans and a brand new window and a decent EVGA 600w power supply spare in a couple of weeks that would do you. £60 and they're yours.

I'd just get a new motherboard £50-60, ram £50-60, used CPU for circa £120, new 1TB SSD £80 (you can always get a second one later on for more space).

That leaves £120-140 for a graphics card. You might be able to get a 4gb RX480, GTX1060 or something for that money. GPUs are difficult to get hold of at the moment.

That would play minecraft no problem plus quite a few other games in 1080p
Mate, you completely lost me. I’m pretty handy with things so I’m sure if I had a resource I could learn how to make a computer. Given nowadays it seems fairy plug and play. But I don’t know where to start

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Got the same coming up for Xmas.

Built the Niece and Nephew one for each of them using Dell Office desktops, a server CPU and a 1GB GPU. Plays loads just from that!

But we're ramping it up for next Xmas - will be a £500 each unit.

The GPU will be 2nd hand, the rest will be new.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Had a look and CPU and GPU at the moment are an absolute nightmare. Even stuff that's 5 years old already.

I could build the following
3.6ghz Ryzen 1600 (used - ebay)
Asus B450 motherboard (new - ebayer)
16 GB Corsair 3200 C16 Ram (new - ebuyer)
1TB M2 SSD (new - ebuyer)
Thermaltake H17 case (nearly new - a spare I have)
EVGA Bronze 600w PSU (used - a spare I have)

For £400 with your own legit copy of windows 10.

I've got a 2gb R9 380 graphics card I keep as a spare just in case. It's not amazing but would run minecraft and I'd throw that in for free as it's just sitting doing nothing.

Then when the market settles down, hopefully within 6-9 months, the price of used graphics cards will come down and it can be upgraded if required.

Also the PC has been specced so the CPU can be upgraded at a later date too if it ever becomes a limiting factor to either a 3XXX or 5XXX Ryzen CPU.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Just buy this, will play 1440p at ok FPS on most games

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Just buy this, will play 1440p at ok FPS on most games

I would defo buy something like this, I wonder where you got that idea from :ROFLMAO:

If I couldn't find a decent used complete system then I would be looking at something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500/6600
Mobo: Any half decent B250 board
SSD: Sata SSD 500GB or 1TB (Sata because cheap and still fast enough)
Case: Basic £30 Deepcool one
PSU: Silverstone 6/700w 80 Plus
RAM: 8GB or 16GB if you can afford
GPU: 1060 ideally 1070

You could get that all for about £550 and that would play all modern games 1080p 60 fps

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I would defo buy something like this, I wonder where you got that idea from :ROFLMAO:

If I couldn't find a decent used complete system then I would be looking at something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500/6600
Mobo: Any half decent B250 board
SSD: Sata SSD 500GB or 1TB (Sata because cheap and still fast enough)
Case: Basic £30 Deepcool one
PSU: Silverstone 6/700w 80 Plus
RAM: 8GB or 16GB if you can afford
GPU: 1060 ideally 1070

You could get that all for about £550 and that would play all modern games 1080p 60 fps
Not with the price of GPUs at the moment. It's ridiculous.