ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garage doing work without telling me

Hi,

I took my car to the garage this morning asking them to fit the front wheel bearings which I supplied and to look at the exhaust that was loose and banging the body work.

When I phoned up to see if it was all ok they said teh bill was over £200. And said they fitted a new rear box.

Is that price ok for a rear box, and if not what can I do about it? I didnt tell them to fit a new rear box.

If I have to get a new part I would rather look for one myself and choose a good one rather than let the garage put any old part on.

Can I refuse to pay for the rear box and tell them to take it off?

If you didnt ask them to do the work then you dont have to pay them. Garages normally ring you if they find something else that needs doing and ask you if you want them to do it!

I went in there all calm last night but the guy in there said the person who had dealt with it had already gone home as I had to come back in the morning.

So I went in just now and the guy was not all too happy about it but said he would take it off :) and only charge me for the wheel bearings to be fitted.

They cant put the old exhaust back on because the mounts have rusted through, so now I need to find a new exhaust.

Didnt need my angry face at all!

I couldnt believe the exhaust they put on there! it have a piddly little pipe slicking out that looked like someone had battered it with a hammer.

Subaru Forrester

My silencer replacement cost £125 for the part and 0.6 hours labour, not sure of the rate. This was yesterday.