ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garage / Workshop drawers & rollcabs

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I'm after some half decent garage drawers to keep bits and pieces in. Does anyone have any they recommend?

As it stands it's a toss up between these;
SGS
US Pro

No strap on please, I'm not made of money.

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
“I’m looking at spending £800 on a drawer to keep bits and pieces in”

“I’m not made of money”

FFS which is it??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

“I’m not made of money”

FFS which is it??
Snap on roll cabs go up to about 30 grand, that's why🤣🤣

My toolbox was £450 with a massive sale on. Theres another one in there (somewhere) that was loads cheaper

20210530_180715.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Costco do a decent toolbox for sub £700. I have the older style and it's been great.

Shows out of stock online, but there's always loads in store.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all.

You had a look at Sealey tackle?

How big you wanting and whats your budget?... scratch that bit about budget, you're made of money👀

Good shout, just had a look at the sealey stuff but they don't seem to have anything around that size and budget. Typically either cheap stuff or a bit too rich / small.

“I’m not made of money”

FFS which is it??

I don't mind spending a bit, but there's always someone who comes along suggesting financing a £5k snap-on box which just makes me feel sick.

Costco do a decent toolbox for sub £700. I have the older style and it's been great.

Shows out of stock online, but there's always loads in store.

Another good shout, have been looking at these in costco for years and keep being tempted, but for this one I'm wanting something with a workbench top.

Fodda172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Each 2 there own on this 1, but I must say US pro are very good 4 the money! I’ve got strap on,Halfords,US pro & Bott. 2 me bott beats the lot, but that top dollar. If u won’t 2 b the man then strap on it is, but don’t waste the money! Get US pro and the money u save put it towards MORE tools!. It’s a chest of drawers at the end on the day what’s inside matters 👍🏻

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
We use sgs at my current work place and quite frankly the quality is proper terrible. I have one of their old Jack's that's been okay but newer stuff is awful.

Their customer support is really s**t too so I'd avoid them imo

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
We use sgs at my current work place and quite frankly the quality is proper terrible. I have one of their old Jack's that's been okay but newer stuff is awful.

Their customer support is really s**t too so I'd avoid them imo
FFS Dan. Just about to order this and thought I'd check here for any comments.

Back to the drawer board (see what I did there)

Arctic 182, GTD
Look at sealey. I got a roll car from them for our company workshop tools a few months ago and its pretty decent quality as well. The warranty / aftersales is normally really good as well.

They have a promotion on at the moment on toolboxes as well.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Machine mart do a decent range of big roll cabs and the garage install stuff for around a grand. Their boxes seem really good quality in the stores.

Unfortunately these days like a lot of these brands adding their name to items sourced from all over, the likes of SGS spec stuff down to a price bearable to their target market IME.

Whilst some will offer varying levels of quality depending on budget, others don't offer that choice.

It's something I'd really want to see and feel before buying really. You get good roller bearing sliding drawers, and you get some that are clunky and not very smooth at all.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
Sealey for your budget
or save up more and go for a used Snap on
I have SGS, Sealey and snap on, you can tell the quality difference by miles. Snap on needs to be the older american version not the newer one they sell

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all for the suggestions, so I've been mulling it over more and been to Halfords and Machine Mart today.

Halfords don't really have anything and the Clarke stuff in machine mart just doesn't seem much for the money so discounted both.

Spoke to someone at SGS yesterday who insisted their stuff is the best quality and I'll definitely be impressed but @dann2707's review along with those online make me doubt it.

After @Romanian Tyre Fitter and @Turbo steve's suggestion I've looked at Sealey and really like this Click because I like the idea of being able to charge batteries in it bit it's just not practical in every other way.

So it looks like USpro but it looks identical to the sgs ones just a bit dearer.

Tldr, thanks for suggestions, I still don't have a f**king clue.

I've just got x2 US pro tool 72" boxes in work last week for general storage, they were £1400 ish inc VAT and quite frankly, they're s**t. Tried to send them back but they wanted us to arrange a courier and the lads had trashed the packaging so we're keeping them but I wouldn't recommend them tbf.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Update, got a decent price on this kit so bit the bullet.

Being a bit OCD I've always liked the idea of the bin and blue roll holder so thought why not.

APMSSTACK01W.png

So, given the size of it I've had to split the elements apart and put them separate in three blocks. Currently looks like this;

IMG_20211210_185340.jpg

IMG_20211211_221441.jpg

IMG_20211212_130918.jpg

With 4 of the wall units still needing a home.

Since there's little info on this stuff from people who've bought it, here's a mini review.

Opinions are a bit mixed. The variety of cabinets is good, and the price is fairly reasonable for what is 12 units, 5 peg boards and 2 worktops. Total weight of everything was a little under 500kg.

Annoyingly they don't have adjustable feet, but do have a thread for them so I've got them sat on M10 bolts to give some adjustment, I did consider buying wheels but it threw the heights out. This just seems a bit of a cheap out by Sealey as I can't see the feet would have broke the bank.

Material wise, it's quite thin gauge metal, likely 20 gauge but it's well rolled and swaged to make everything feel fairly solid. The drawer runners feel OK and the one drawer I've put some weight in moves well. The liners that they come with are s**t so will probably get changed.

All the units have keys and have a decent feel to the locks, although it's a shame they couldn't like key them all so I don't have 5 different keys.

Packaging was decent, but I've now got more cardboard than IKEA and a mountain of polystyrene that'll take weeks to get rid of.

Quality is reasonable, a few of the items are showing some slight browning at the bottoms with some small areas of rust where the coating doesn't seem brilliant, there are also a few places where they appear to have been touched up with paint but nothing major. I'll email Sealey tomorrow and see what they say.

The two tall cabinets need assembling which was a bit click together and didn't give me much confidence, until they were all together and they just went solid.

The worktop is 36mm plywood and doesn't have the smoothest finish but serves a purpose. All the fixings provided are actually good quality grade 8.8 and not Chinesium!

Delivery was spot on but a good job we had a forklift to offload. I couldn't see the driver getting up on the wagon to split the pack and help offload it piece by piece.

All in all after a weekend of putting them together and messing about, they seem decent quality for the money and I'm happy with them. Being Sealey you can buy everything from new badge to a new door for them so it's good to know I can get another shelf or two if I ever want one etc.

Tl:dr

New cabinets OK.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Nice review. I feel the same, it feels good but not amazing.

The 30000 sheet ply board top fills me with sadness and thought they could have made that a lot nicer.

Overall I'm happy but even happier I didn't pay for them if you get me.

They feel more like cupboards and rolling cupboards rather than a toolbox set if you get me, presumably down to the gauge steel used.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

“I’m not made of money”

FFS which is it??
i thought exactly the same.

argos or ikea sell plenty of cheap draws to put "bits" in

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i got some of these off fb market place, built proper well. had em years no issues, i also got some cheap metal cabinets off fb to