ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gates - cambelt kit.

A few
Been offered a brand new Gates cambelt kit, just wondered what are these like?

Are they any good compared to genuine renault cambelt kits?

Any expirences with gates products? Anyone had one of these fitted?

ITB'd MK1
if you buy genuine, you will get the same parts in a different box. Gates are THE best IMO. I'd choose them over anything else on any engine if available

Belts are fine, no idea on the tensioners and idlers, i'm not sure who makes them for FAI (could be the same as a gates/renault kit, but dont know without looking)

cheers mate much appreciated, local parts shop said he'll do me an FAI cambelt kit, aux belt and water pump for £50 all in. Didn't believe him at first :eek:

A few
cheers mate much appreciated, local parts shop said he'll do me an FAI cambelt kit, aux belt and water pump for £50 all in. Didn't believe him at first :eek:

When changing cambelt, do you need a new water pump :S i know studpid question, but im learning. I just dont want to get robbed at the garage when i pay for labour.

Whats the aux belt? Is this basically the cambelt?

When changing cambelt, do you need a new water pump :S i know studpid question, but im learning. I just dont want to get robbed at the garage when i pay for labour.

Whats the aux belt? Is this basically the cambelt?

From what i've read in other threads it is important to change the waterpump but not exactly sure why to be honest.
And not sure what the AUX belt is either, i'm sure someone will tell us.

:approve:

A few
From what i've read in other threads it is important to change the waterpump but not exactly sure why to be honest.
And not sure what the AUX belt is either, i'm sure someone will tell us.

:approve:

Yes lol, need to learn abit more about this.

So with a cambelt kit, what do you get in them?

And why is it important to change the water pump?

Lionel Richie
That all i need? No cables? or anything? or any other bits and bobs?

on a 1.2 16V with no aircon

cambelt kit 7701476745 £83.56+vat
water pump 7701478923 £50+vat
aux belt - about £10
plus about 3hours labour for that lot to fit, plus engine coolant at about £15

172/182 waterpump
7701473365 £60.43+vat, but i'm 99% sure its the same as a 1.9D clio mk1 as i did one on mine the other day, that was £20 :)

Lionel Richie
basically the bearing is the seal, the bearing drys out and the coolant leaks out the engine, 95% of people wouldn't touch it because "it was fine" and just do the cambelt, but then 12months down the line when it starts leaking, its another load of labour and another camblet kit just because it wasn't changed last time round

same thing with the aux belt KIT v just the auxbelt thing on the RS that i have arguments about on here with a certain person ;) it may appear fine at the time, but i guarantee within 2 years it'll be fucked

A few
basically the bearing is the seal, the bearing drys out and the coolant leaks out the engine, 95% of people wouldn't touch it because "it was fine" and just do the cambelt, but then 12months down the line when it starts leaking, its another load of labour and another camblet kit just because it wasn't changed last time round

same thing with the aux belt KIT v just the auxbelt thing on the RS that i have arguments about on here with a certain person ;) it may appear fine at the time, but i guarantee within 2 years it'll be f**ked

Better off doing the job properly then. Thanks for the information Fred.

Arctic Blue 182
Sorry to Hijack but should you do the waterpump when doing the cam and aux on a 04 plate 182 ? ?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I always wonder if it's worth puttin on a new dypahser pulley though.

Arctic Blue 182
HA do try and read but there are so many acronyms and abbreviations it makes it hard to understand sometimes! :)

96' 1.4 Clio RT & Polo
Would the pump need changing on a MK1 1.4 - Just had the cam done this morning, but didn't think about the water pump...