ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GAZ rear coilover rear struts noise

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hello there,
I have the new style GAZ units on the back (coilovers) and they seem to make more noise than the standard setup, is there something wrong in this new design or is it just something regarding the install procedure?
Thx!
p.s: I find it a little bit odd now that the entire rear end sits only on the two damper bolts.. But i guess I shouldn't worry that much or..

I just found this thread via google, I'm having the exact same issue but it seems to only be one unit making the noise. No noise from the front at all. So far, all I can deduce is that it's my rear n/s coilover making the noise and that the spring/helper etc doesn't look right, event though I think it's seated correctly.

PH2 172
I just found this thread via google, I'm having the exact same issue but it seems to only be one unit making the noise. No noise from the front at all. So far, all I can deduce is that it's my rear n/s coilover making the noise and that the spring/helper etc doesn't look right, event though I think it's seated correctly.
Check the spherical beaings at the bottom of the units move freely & that the springs are not rubbing on the damper body,resulting in a squeaking noise,for want of a better description.

Megane 175 & BG182
What sort of noise is it mate? I seem to get a knock from my passenger side rear over uneven ground/bumpy ground!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
it's like a knock but not very loud. I also have about the same noise on the front for ages and couldn't find it's source, everything is tight, poly bushes, solid mounts, etc and still knocks, but that's another story

Megane 175 & BG182
Sounds similar to mine then. Im having a play with it the weekend, see if I can find out whats what!!

PH2 172
What sort of noise is it mate? I seem to get a knock from my passenger side rear over uneven ground/bumpy ground!

Check the rear beam bushes.These can produce an irrating but not catostrothic knock/clonk if worn,discernable at low speed (below 10mph) over poor road surfaces.
Try coasting downhill on a residential road with speed humps with the engine not running to check for this.
Other LH side (UK passenger) common causes of knocks are exhaust back box mount worn,back box spiggot 5mm thread bolt & washer to retain back box in mount missing,broken U clamps,general misalignment of exhaust system,and heat shields insecure.
That will do for starters.

PH2 172
it's like a knock but not very loud. I also have about the same noise on the front for ages and couldn't find it's source, everything is tight, poly bushes, solid mounts, etc and still knocks, but that's another story

What ride height are you running?If you have 25 threads or thereabout from the bottom of the FRONT shock body to the lower lock ring WITHOUT the optional assister spring(may as well be a 1 inch spacer) the springs will be rattling in their seats.
I specified 325 lb front spring rate & 200 lb rear(running 40 threads on the rear) if that is of help.
I have also modified some plumbing 50mm (from the Plumb centre) pipe joiners to act as spring supports on top of the rear shocks body,held in place with no more nails,& fitted some seals sourced from the internet 24x17x2.5 & 26x17.5x3 to keep cxxp out of the spherical bearings.
To date I,m happy

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
have you any pics of the things you describe? mine isn't that low on the front and it made these knocks even with the std suspension, as far as I remember.

PH2 172
have you any pics of the things you describe? mine isn't that low on the front and it made these knocks even with the std suspension, as far as I remember.
What part number was the ARB bush kit you used?
PFF60-207-23 OR 22?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
can't remember but I have the cup suspension and 23 mm outer bushes. Some mechanics had a look and all the bushes looked snug and undamaged. they said the knock may occur in one of the brake calipers somehow, there's some play in one of them apparently

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Couple of years later, new rear gaz shocks, refurbished front ones, new rear beam bushes, new bearings in the front solid mounts, front lower arm bushes look OK, same the anti roll bar bushes. Refurbished front and rear calipers, and carriers, new discs and pads and the suspension still rattles like a bi*ch.
Friend of mine wit an identical car but with bilstein b14 - silent like a limousine.
What the hell AM I MISSING here? I have this issues for 12 years now, and it started to drive me insane, as expected.
Of course many mechanics looked under, no one was able to point out what's wrong

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I have the same noise, wasn't there before I switched to GAZ a couple years ago. Previously had Weitec (KW budget brand) and no noise. So it's defo a GAZ issue, I don't drive the car enough to let it bother me, but I know it's there and I know it'll annoy me when I do drive it

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I have the same noise, wasn't there before I switched to GAZ a couple years ago. Previously had Weitec (KW budget brand) and no noise. So it's defo a GAZ issue, I don't drive the car enough to let it bother me, but I know it's there and I know it'll annoy me when I do drive it
I am begining to think the gaz is at fault here too but I remember whaen I fitted my first kit in 2010 it kinda wasn't that bad. Now it's like the whole underside of the car has the bolts loose and it's falling apart.
But if it's that bad, how come so many have it? I heard some other complains but it looks like that some people re happy with them. What's the deal here?