ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GDI rolling road results!

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A

i got 167 bhp, which overally im happy with as ive got an open air i/k and it is a hot day too!! :D

Yaris Hybrid

I am always confused by these power measurements and even more confused because Ive never been to a rolling road.

What is the actual manufacturers BHP figure for the Cup? The "172" figure is not BHP but another measurement which is marginally higher than BHP isnt it?

Also dont these rolling roads measure power at the wheels only? How can they accurately convert this to give an engine power figure? Do they just add the rule of thumb 15%? This to me seems a bit inaccurate - certainly the margin of error in calculating transmissions losses would be greater than the amount you could gain from fitting an IK?

Sorry if I am being dumb but as I said this business has always confused me.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 31 July 2004

What is the actual manufacturers BHP figure for the Cup? The "172" figure is not BHP but another measurement which is marginally higher than BHP isnt it?

Also dont these rolling roads measure power at the wheels only? How can they accurately convert this to give an engine power figure? Do they just add the rule of thumb 15%? This to me seems a bit inaccurate - certainly the margin of error in calculating transmissions losses would be greater than the amount you could gain from fitting an IK?

Sorry if I am being dumb but as I said this business has always confused me.
The 172 is a DIN or somehting so in UK HP it works out to be about 166.6hp but Renault call it 172 as it sounds better.

RR measure the power at the wheels then the operators add however much extra they recon the gearbox and tyres are taking away.

This operator added power can mean people have RR prinouts showing much more power then they will achually as some tunning companies have a reputation for claiming huge losses from the trnasmission.

Normal losses are about 10hp from the tyres gripping the rollers and 10% from the gearbox sligly more from a rear whell drive car.

The only way to be sure of the gains is to use the at the wheel figure or have a before and after RR to compare.

Have you just got the airfilter and the Smt thingie remap?

Did you get a before and after RR results?

172 Exclusive

A rolling road measures the power at the wheels when the car is on full throttle accelerating and measures the power at the flywheel when you let off and decellerrate

If you know the losses on the rollers you can get pretty accurate transmissionloss figures. When you let of the gas you measure the time it takes for the rollers to stop.

Lars

German Barge

he he just got back

i got 168bhp...

dead happy with that considering my cams need readjusting and smt6 is yet to come!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

any camd 172s on there today??? really interested in what they can achieve.

Bad day for me unfortunately...daughters/grandsons birthday...same bloody day!!! so it was egg sarnies and a bouncy castle for me..

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

There was 2 182s, 2 cups but no normal 172s.
Far few 16v and Williams, and the 1.2/1.4 lads put in a good show too.

My 182 pushed 112 at the wheels, and was I very disappointed. Then we ran it again later in the day and it pushed 130 at the wheels, which is about 171 at the fly, so still not perfect, but it has only done 2000miles, so no where near loosened up.

Dave182 ran his 182 and got 14* at the wheels and it equated to 184 at the fly.

y0zs cup ran 150ish at the wheels and hence was approx 198 at the fly.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 31 July 2004

Good result...but what has Yoz done to acheive that....pure alchohol in the tank maybe??? LOL!!

Yaris Hybrid

How in gods name have you managed to put 2k on your car already?

Nice to know that by ten thousand mine should be delivering the goods but thats gonna be at least a year after I pic the car up!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I live in Reading and work in Birmingham, so doing almostg 200/day

Ill be moving soon, so will be doing 120/day.

dk

911 GTS Cab

10,000 I think he said? Its done a track day as well.
i have done 7k miles, was very happy with my result!

Had a really good day, were quite a few things happening too, lots of glowing, straps snapping and fires to name but a few. Will post pics up tomorrow when I have recuperated!

Nice meeting everybody too.

133 @ the wheel i think, so wots that at the f/wheel. Was a hot day as well and still go SMT to come, so was dead impressed as i only got it back this morning. :)

Nippy white cup

150ish aint 198bhp m8...Mine was 151 at the BB rr day time b4 last and we worked that out to be 180/185 at the fly

Chris

285 for the V6 taken from the site "Right at the top of the range, the 285bhp 3-litre V6 24V Clio Trophy, a Renault Sport competition special, has a power-packed road version, the Clio V6, with a rear mid-mounted engine."

Didnt make it today :(:mad:

Heard from a few people who said it was a good day, really really pd off I couldnt come.. next time..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Not in a million years...

The transmission loss is around 15% on the Clio, so theres no way it has that much at the fly with only 150s at the wheels!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I know I aint got a Clio anymore, but I had my car on the rollers too yesterday and its making 176bhp @ wheels... which was nice! :D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

176bhp @ the wheels?

With just a cda?

Whats a stock ctr make at the wheels?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

hmmm, thats what he used for everyone I think?

Like I said in the other thread, we dont have graphs yet, so cant confirm that.

although some readings were spot on, like TomsCup getting 167bhp atf and dave182 gettings 184bhp atf etc.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 01 August 2004

I know I aint got a Clio anymore, but I had my car on the rollers too yesterday and its making 176bhp @ wheels... which was nice! :D
Show off.:eek:;)

The fastest bread in the West!!:D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 01 August 2004

176bhp @ the wheels?

With just a cda?

Whats a stock ctr make at the wheels?
Also has a a zorst and grounding kit too... but basic, simple mods.

Standard CTRs "should" make about 160(ish) at wheels in standard form, some more, some less.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 01 August 2004

I think Andy reckoned the loss was 32%?
LOL

Not in a million years... thats twice what it should be...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 01 August 2004

Maybe because the CTR has such a good gearbox?
Nope, the CTR actually has a higher transmission loss of 18%

The 6 speed box and wider tyres make it a little higher than your average fwd car.