ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear selector

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
im getting a clio 172 but the guys description said the gear linkage needs tightening up?? how will i know if this is true & its not the gearbox thats knackered?

PH1 172 Sport
3rd gear syncro tends to go first so if it crunches while changing into 3rd from 2nd or 4th then I would say the gearbox is nakered.

However part of the deal could be that you dont buy the car unless he gets the linkage tightened and the problem goes. If it doesn't go after the linkage has been tightened then you can walk.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeble on gearboxes will be along soon!!

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
the car is 2 1/2 hours drive away so if i went i wouldnt really want to go back down for the car

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
rang him up & asked if it crunched in any gear at all & he said no not at all & that it goes into the gears ok with no problems at all its just that they are a bit slack.

it *might* just be worn engine mounts, which is a common problem and doesn't really go away once you've actually renewed them - there's just a fair amount of slack in the mounts, meaning that the gear-shift isn't the nicest

also, ask him to confirm that the box isn't leaking oil from anywhere

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
this is taken from his advert

* 2001 X Plate
* Metallic Black
* 80,040 Miles
* Recent 80,000 Mile Service
* Cambelt, Auxiliary Belt, (inc. tensioner) Clutch Replacement and Full Comprehensive Service at 72,000 miles
* Air Conditioning Re-gas at 72,000 miles
* Booklet of Receipts (from 2001 to present)
* Both Original Remote Keys Supplied
* Tax – February 2009
* MOT – 26th August 2009
* 5 Previous Owners
* Hpi Clear (document included)
* Full Stainless Steel Exhaust System (lifetime guarantee included, quiet and subtle fitment)
* New OEM Front Brake Pads and Disks

* New Genuine Renault Steering Wheel (original was replaced due to excessive wear)
* Both Lambda/Exhaust Sensors Replaced for MOT (costing over £200.00)