ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox/Clutch/Release Bearing?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Basically my car is kaput,

it sounded a little bang when i was slowing down for a speed bump in 2nd.

it now whines in first, rattles in 2nd, 3rd, a little in 4th and not really in 5th.

The weird thing is when in neutral it rattles a little and if you press the clutch in it stops..

I had a look and noticed there is a lot of play in the release fork (where the clutch cable attaches)

So what i want to know is, is it a problem with the box? or is it something to do with the release bearing/mechanism.

I have already started stripping it back to get the box out as at the end of the day i need in to fix it and the car is no use to me to drive.

Should i fit a new clutch while i'm at it? (fitted 1.5yrs ago only done 20k)
Can i buy the fork and release bearing seperate if needed?

I would have liked to order the bits before the weekend but dont think i'll get the box out until sunday due to other commitments.

BMW M135i
Doubt it if it changes depending on gear. Sounds like a box problem to me, i'd start looking for a new one.

Clutch wise i'd have a look at it when i'd got the box off and decide if I wanted to change it depending on condition etc.

Unlikely to be anything to do with your clutch as it would do the same in all gears. The release forks have quite a bit of play in them anyway.
Quite a few parts inside the box that could have failed wouldn't like to speculate either way i'd get started on removing the gearbox

BMW M135i
If it were the clutch release bearing and co it'd still do it with the clutch in and it'd vary with revs.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Quite a few parts inside the box that could have failed wouldn't like to speculate either way i'd get started on removing the gearbox

Already have mate, sub frame to drop and it's out.. it's just time and finding someone to help me at the right times!

BMW M135i
Jesus, bit hard on them then! Could split the box if you had the inclination to see whats wrong with it.

How much are you looking at for a new box then?Are you still in Fife?I know someone over here who speciallises in Gearbox rebuilds you might have more luck with that as you should also get some kind of warranty.
Know what you mean about it been a 2 man job though when I changed my engine everything I could do myself apart from actually lifting the bugger in and out. I learned the hard way lol

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
work in aberdeen and car is at the flat up here. in bits! lol
I've got a hire car till thursday so want it done by then!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Jesus, bit hard on them then! Could split the box if you had the inclination to see whats wrong with it.

it was a 2nd hand box that went in so god knows how it was treated before me or how many miles it had done.. i treated my old box bad but not the current one!

CB600FS
Andy do you struggle to get gears now? or is it still okay when you go to select another gear?

Release bearing can make a kind of rasping sound, I've know a few do it, it goes when you let off the throttle, doubtfull but could be it.

Whereabouts are you aswell?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
na mate, it's total fu(ked! lol

feels like something is spinning off the shaft and hitting the casing every revoloution!!

In aberdeen mate.