ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Droning?

RB 182
Hi

My 182 seems to have developed a droning noise (I'm saying droning as its too low pitched to be a whine) and I'm a bit worried that it could be the gearbox on its way out. :(

Its most noticeable in 5th after 3K RPM but does die off as the revs rise. Its also noticeable in 4th around 4K RPM and in third higher up again maybe 5-6K seems to be when I'm going around 60 - 80 in third fourth or fifth. I cant hear it below 3K revs and cant hear it at all in 1st or 2nd. The noise will disappear as soon as you drop the clutch.

Another thing I've noticed tonight is If i pull away slowly in 1st with the radio off i can hear a kind of flapping noise (sounds a little like a playing card in a bike wheel) coming from the passenger side.

The car has done 74K now and had a new clutch at 65K (before i owned it) i also just changed the box oil a few weeks back using the recommended 75w-80 ELF Tranself NFJ so was thinking maybe it had thicker oil in before to cover up the noise.

It seems to drive fine, the gear shift is silky smooth with no crunches in any gear up and down.

Any advice appreciated.

Ben

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
or rebuild time...get the whole box done whilst it's out. I had mine done locally 2 years ago and it's still going, but I'm pretty sure BTM will do it for you

New they're arms and legs from Renault. Second hand boxes are peanuts... but I wouldn't be happy putting one in on the assumption it's fine only to find a syncro goes 2 months down the line

Piece of mind and all that

RB 182
or rebuild time...get the whole box done whilst it's out. I had mine done locally 2 years ago and it's still going, but I'm pretty sure BTM will do it for you

New they're arms and legs from Renault. Second hand boxes are peanuts... but I wouldn't be happy putting one in on the assumption it's fine only to find a syncro goes 2 months down the line

Piece of mind and all that

Yeah I agree wouldn't trust a used box as it seems gearbox'S aren't a strong point on the 1*2's.

Will BTM do the refurb or send it away?

Steve

Unsure. I used Birchdown last time I had a problem as they are closest so was going to give them a bell and get them to have a look although I'm unsure if they do gearbox's or not.

clio sport 172
i've too got a droning sound ONLY at 2000 rpm, if the revs are higher or lower than 2000 rpm there is no droning...the sound can't be heard outside just inside the cabin, it kinda goes through the dashboard. the sound can be heard when driving the car and also when stationary reving it. the sound has got present now when it's colder, in summer was no noise.
any ideas? thnx

RB 182
i've too got a droning sound ONLY at 2000 rpm, if the revs are higher or lower than 2000 rpm there is no droning...the sound can't be heard outside just inside the cabin, it kinda goes through the dashboard. the sound can be heard when driving the car and also when stationary reving it. the sound has got present now when it's colder, in summer was no noise.
any ideas? thnx

Engine mounts maybe?

RB 182
Right, took the car out again last night and the droning noise had gone.

I'm still getting a sort of clacking noise when i pull off but this went after i'd been driving a short while. The gearbox is still audible though sounds like a very faint grating sound but it really isnt that bad. Having it looked at tomorrow, so hopefully be able to find out what it is.

clio sport 182
noticed the same noises in my 182 last night. in neutral there is no noise, under acceleration there is a whine from 3rd gear upwards and when just coasting in gear it sounds as tho there is a carrier bag stuck under the car. :S