ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox grinding 172 help please

RB 182 Track Project
Hi guys,

I've bought a 172 for the track and after a good spirited drive I've found that the gearbox seems to grind on fast changes from 2nd into 3rd and then 3rd into 2nd, the car has been stood for about a year so just wondered if I could just get away with changing the Gearbox oil or does it sound like the gearbox is goosed?

Evo 5 RS
its also transmissions ;)

iPhones are gay

Agency Transmissions (Services)
Shrub Hill
Worcester
Worcestershire
WR4 9EL (Road Map)

Tel: 01905 24896

Clio 172 Phase II
mines been like that for 30,000 miles but it's a lot better after it's warmed up. Led to believe it's a common fault. I am gonna go for a gear oil change to see if that helps. Someone on here said taht the oil absorsbs water over time making it more viscous than it should be and that a change will help.

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL at having a crunch for 30k miles and only then thinking about an oil change.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Your best bet is to change the box oil straight away and then just have a bit more mechanical sympathy changing gear that you normally would to prolong the life.

Evo 5 RS
Changed my box oil last month as I've got second gear syncro problems on a relatively new rebuild. Has definitely helped. Pretty much consumables on these cars really, just have to be firm but gentle lol

Clio 172 Phase II
well, I did the gear oil change..sadly made it worse in that in doesn't get better when warmed up. I suspected that may happen. Next time I'll go with ny hunch. Could it be because I used 75w/90?

Clio 172 Phase II
well, I did the gear oil change..sadly made it worse in that in doesn't get better when warmed up. I suspected that may happen. Next time I'll go with ny hunch. Could it be because I used 75w/90?

RB 182 Track Project
Changed my oil and made no difference at all, but did a full trackday at donnington with just the grinding and the gearbox holding out to the very last lap, at that point it was also jumping out of 4th.

I ended up removing the gearbox myself and sending it off to agency transmissions as Reccomend on here.
I can't tell you how chuffed I'am with these guys, what a quality service they offer!!!

Got the box back on Friday and fitted it on saturday along with a new clutch and the car is spot on now.

RB 182 Track Project
£20 for courier on way there, £275 for everything the box needed (was quite abit) £60 to get it back by courier (wanted it back here before the weekend)

Yeah did the swap myself and was quite surprised how easy it was to do.

Clio 172 Phase II
ok, so that's not so bad then! Cool.... I have nowhere I can take the box out (or the skills) so would need help with that, but all in all... not as bad as I feared.