ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox? How much?

Car broke down on Sunday had to get it towed all the way home.

Initially thought it was the drive shaft.

Got a call off the garage today and they reckon it's the gearbox.

They quoted me £800! They justified this because they need to take the engine out.

Has anyone had this problem? It sounds well expensive, but is that the just normal for anywhere?

Its a 93 Valver by the way.

i paid 1200 inc vat for total rebuild with all new parts, clutch and driveshaft.

I didn't know at the time you can get a new box for £400 from rebuilt

I would say the price you have is about right

£800 isn't bad.

The box is like £550/£600/£700 depending.. so only £200/£250 to change it, is quite good I think?

It is an engine out job to do it easily.

LY 200
I was gettin silly quotes mate.

I ended up doubling up my doller and goin for a willy conv with a rebuilt box.

There's more to this.

Since I bought this car back in June every month there has been something major going wrong with it. I've spent £1500+ just to get it to where it is now. I haven't even started tidying the exterior up and I haven't even put a decent stereo in it, i.e. I still have a tape player in the thing which keeps blowing the fuse for the dash lights!

And now it is stuck at the garage and I'll need to pay to get it towed everywhere unless I cough up £800 right away to fix it.

This is why I feel like crying. :-(

But alas nobody died...

Actually, I think Valver boxes are slightly cheaper than that - Just realised - I was quoting Williams prices. Can't remember how much a Valver box would be - sure someone would know; then at least you can see how much is labour.

When I first saw £800, I thought it was about right for a garage, tho.

I know what you mean tho - mine's been off the road with the exact same thing for a few months - very upsetting really.. but hey, hopefully be fixed soon!

Hope you get it sorted - might be worth ringing a few places to see how much they'd do it for too.. never know, might save a few quid!

Lionel Richie
IIRC an exchange valver box is about £400 from renault (pm j3ned)

my mechanic will fit it for sub £200 in Birmingham

Definetly recommend getting a few people to check it unless you can look under the car yourself.

LY 200
Iv prices sitting infront of me now as per j3ned.

If bought from him (best pm'n i guess)

£336.75+vat for a valver box (new)

£450.00+vat for a willy box (new)

****Exchanged units though****

LY 200
^^^Trouble with that is you may get another knakered box though!

I wouldnt chance it tbh.

Cheers guys for the help at my time of need it is well appreciated.

Told the garage today that it's gonna have to wait for a while now, they offered to tow it back home for me where it shall be sitting on my drive until next year when I can afford to sort it.

I'll pm J3ned then as those prices sound very reasonable.

Cheers everyone :)