ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox in valver

BG 182

i jus started to disconnect loom,plumbing, remove driveshafts etc as im replacing my shagged gearbox and was just wondering if anyone here has done it, how long it roughly takes and if anyone has got any tips?

dnt wana break bits! should i replace anything while in the process of fitting a new box. any help/guidance would be appreciated.

maybe for sale when its done if anyone interested?

megane coupe F7R

Engine out! if you know what your doin it will be out in 2 or 3 hours and then 3 or 4/5 to get it back in depending on what you have broken lol

Took me 4 days on my own, as I did it the hard way and stripped everything out to get the gearbox out on its own. I also had to take some bits back off to realign the starter motor as I put it on misaligined the first time.

I would definetley take the motor and everything out if you can, its a whole lot easier.

See ya

Matt

10 hours is fast Winston, Haynes quote it as an 8 hour job and id imagine it was yours and Gibbos first time at swapping a box over when the engine was still in?

BG 182

well i kinda no wot im doin i was a trainee mechanic for a year, done engines out plenty of times, but not this big in such a little space!!! the bloke who was meant to do it was charging £130, but had it for 3 weeks and didnt touch it. i thought about dropping the subframe but im doin outside my house! parents arent impressed! hopefully have it done by end of weekend and i get some pics up, got a little diary of events.

megane coupe F7R

Dropping the subframe is not the easy way. Ask winston lol. Its not that hard to get the engine out tbh. Youve took the shafts out and disconnected the loom(i take it you took the ecu out to disconnect it) and cooling. Do the exhaust, gear linkage, dogbone engine stabiliser. disconnect the fuel lines and also the powersteering. Take out the radiator. Remove drivers headlight as it gives more space(leave it hanging). The bar what goes between the headlights comes off too for more space. I think your ready to get the hoist out then before you undo the engine mounts. I think thats it:confused:. Have i missed anythin people.

Dont forget speedo cable/ accel cable/ clutch cable. obvious really though.

[Edited by Andyvalver on 17 June 2005 at 12:23pm]

2Live can do it in 6 hours. I reckon if i had a carack again with Gibo and Winston we could do it in around the same!?

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 17 June 2005

2Live can do it in 6 hours. I reckon if i had a carack again with Gibo and Winston we could do it in around the same!?
quicker i reckon, more you do it better you get at it i suppose. either way, well impressed with the speed and efficiency of Gibbo, Winston and Jon.

the problem here is that this thread will prolly get lost under a sea of other threads, we should really do a guide (we meaning someone else thats not me). theres not really much techy help for the Mk1 here anymore tho :(

BG 182

a guide could be a good idea, like i sed im gna do a diary, i love my clio, had 3 n every car i driven doesnt compare, wanting a newer one tho but not sure wether to get a williams next?

personally if I had my time again knowing what I do now Id have bought a valver and put a 2.0 in it... black car, black wheels, silver rim and leathers... mmmmm :cool:.

the Williams is great, but gets too much attention imo...

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

ive done it in 8 hours, first time. Engine in, box out through the top, nightmare of a job had to lower subframe etc next time it goes its engine out for new clutch, cambelt, water pump, etc stuff doing it the hard way again deffo engine out

Dave