ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox mapping

Lotus Elise
Right, as I sit here bored shitless on the phone to estate agents I've been thinking.

Has anyone started remapping DSG gearboxes yet?

BMW release updates for their SMG and DSG units and they have dramatic effects on the gearboxes characteristics. All the electrics do is control a solenoid so why haven't people such as revo, superchips or even Chip started improving gearbox software? Or have they?

Racing cars with paddle shift sequential boxes have various shift modes for differing weather conditions so the knowledge is out there.

What I'm getting at is when can we have a 250bhp 200T with a snorting flat shifting gearbox?

Lotus Elise
300% Increase in gearbox faults.

​0.01s shift speed improvement

Bargain. I'll have two.

I think there is a gap in the market from what I can tell.

Do you think there is an issue with a lack of knowledge with this type of software writing?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you think there is an issue with a lack of knowledge with this type of software writing?

I think its more a case of lack of tools currently, but I think you are right that it will be one of the next big things, and it will be the norm in future for a remap to include the engine and the box as well.

BG Clio 182 FF
Quite a few tuners in VAG world offer this service

I believe the following can be achieved:
Torque Limiters Raised (Think there 350NM Standard and can be raised to 500NM+)
Rev Limiter/Upshift RPM Raised
Removal of Autoshift in S Mode at WOT (Hold a gear without it automatically upshifting)
Custom Set RPM for Launch Control
Faster Reaction from Launch Control
Throttle Blips on Downshifts

Lotus Elise
AMD also map the dsg boxes, the fact that mine changes gear by itself when im holding a gear really pisses me off. il be getting mine done at amd. http://www.amdtuning.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=17369&VariantID=1316&ReferenceID=169551

Cheers for that, personally I wouldn't mess to much with torque limits in lower gears but giving the driver more control over gear selection, and what the paddles do, for example holding the down paddle instead of continually pulling it to go from say 6th to 2nd. Fezza's do this.

Can anybody map an Audi to do clutch dumps like the new GT3? (Both paddles held in engages the clutch)

So many options to making these paddle shifts proper nice pieces of kit.

I think its more a case of lack of tools currently, but I think you are right that it will be one of the next big things, and it will be the norm in future for a remap to include the engine and the box as well.

Exciting times! Utilising the various 'sport', 'race', 'billybigb****cks' button functions could really transform a cars characteristics and appeal as well with remaps for boxes and engines.

Are OEM control units getting harder to manipulate or is it always going to be a case of 'the tuner market' playing catch up?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are OEM control units getting harder to manipulate or is it always going to be a case of 'the tuner market' playing catch up?

Ive no firsthand experience of trying to map the boxes on modern cars but I would be confident its very much like OEM engine ECU remapping which is getting harder all the time as the manufacturers encrypt everything and hide data reference points behind complex algorythms etc, the actual mapping bit is easy, but 99% of the job is the building of a definition file in the first place.

Lotus Elise
Ive no firsthand experience of trying to map the boxes on modern cars but I would be confident its very much like OEM ECU remapping which is getting harder all the time as the manufacturers encrypt everything and hide data reference points behind complex algorythms etc, the actual mapping bit is easy, but 99% of the job is the building of a definition file in the first place.

Very frustrating, its the only reason why we have to go to Motec/Aim or similar with the race car. The Bosch ECU can do everything we want it to but sadly no one can access it.

Can a DSG box from Audi/Porsche be made to run on a motorsport ECU? Hmmm

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Very frustrating, its the only reason why we have to go to Motec/Aim or similar with the race car. The Bosch ECU can do everything we want it to but sadly no one can access it.

Did you try talking to motorsport developments in blackpool? Or are they unable to as well, in which case sorry for sending you on a goose chase.

Can a DSG box from Audi/Porsche be made to run on a motorsport ECU? Hmmm
I would have thought so, the controls within in them are relatively uncomplex I believe.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll stick with my knob thankyou.

Lol, same here but we're a dieing breed mate, and sadly we are also wrong, the DSG setup is better and faster than a manual box and potentially more reliable too with all the safe guards against mis-shifts etc.

There was a few traders at gti international the other week who mapped the dsg boxes.

I know chuff all about mapping etc but standing there listening to 3 revo people who didnt know what day it was let alone anything else!!! Quite shocking tbh.

Sam can paul@rstuning not do anything regarding the dsg boxes?

Lotus Elise
Did you try talking to motorsport developments in blackpool? Or are they unable to as well, in which case sorry for sending you on a goose chase.

I would have thought so, the controls within in them are relatively uncomplex I believe.

They can do bits but not everything sadly. A complete re-wire and ECU is the only option really :(

Are you not excited by the potential of new DSG 'boxes? I love a good manual box but next to a well sorted paddle shift they feel slow and clunky IMO

Sam can paul@rstuning not do anything regarding the dsg boxes?

No idea buddy. If he can't I bet he will know someone who does.

BG Clio 182 FF
Speak to R-Tech in Hinkley - Only 20 Minutes from Coventry Sam
He is highly regarded in VAG tuning world and is doing more with the Bosch ECU's then anyone else.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They can do bits but not everything sadly. A complete re-wire and ECU is the only option really :(

Ah, thats a bummer, although at least you could get it fueling and timed correctly to keep it safe, but obviously on a racecar you want total control not just "ok"

Are you not excited by the potential of new DSG 'boxes? I love a good manual box but next to a well sorted paddle shift they feel slow and clunky IMO

I think its great technology although still slightly in its infancy, because of my shallow pockets it will be a long time before I am using one in a trackday car though myself as I only use old cars I can afford to crash.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Have a chat with Kev Hall from Revo. He'll be able to tell you what they can do. I'm pretty sure they did stuff with the DSG on their Scirroco demo car.