ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox noise (video)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You mean the clutch release bearing? Or one inside the gearbox?
It sounds like a bearing to me as well, but I can't figure out why it's only in reverse. I mean, all the gears use the same bearings right?
Yeah I’m meaning internal mate, but it may be the reverse gear idler is worn. They have a bush in them that wears, so it may be that making a noise when the gear is engaged.

Drop the oil and see what the oil colour is buddy. That’s the best indication of a bearing failure. Particles galore and it would be black/very dark brown - unless it’s not been changed for a while?
Usually smells burnt if it is as well tbf.

Yeah I’m meaning internal mate, but it may be the reverse gear idler is worn. They have a bush in them that wears, so it may be that making a noise when the gear is engaged.

Drop the oil and see what the oil colour is buddy. That’s the best indication of a bearing failure. Particles galore and it would be black/very dark brown - unless it’s not been changed for a while?

Thanks, I'll do that. The oil is about a year or so old.

I might have to add that I have a Scenic shifter, and I've bent it back, a bit too far for the reverse gear actually. So it is now difficult to get into reverse, but it goes in reverse without crunches or anything, it's just that I have to look for it a bit more, and it goes into 1st quite easily when trying to get it into reverse. Could this have anything to do with it?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks, I'll do that. The oil is about a year or so old.

I might have to add that I have a Scenic shifter, and I've bent it back, a bit too far for the reverse gear actually. So it is now difficult to get into reverse, but it goes in reverse without crunches or anything, it's just that I have to look for it a bit more, and it goes into 1st quite easily when trying to get it into reverse. Could this have anything to do with it?
Nah shouldn’t have any effect at all tbh

I've drained the oil, and there's definately metal in there.

360.jpg

Kind of funny when you can make magnetic fields with a magnet.

360.jpg

I'm no expert on this, but does this indicate bearing wear? The oil is about a year and a half old, and I know that the oil didn't come out like this the last time I changed it, it was also a year and a half at that time.

@NorthloopCup I've send you a PM regarding rebuild etc. ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've drained the oil, and there's definately metal in there.

View attachment 1506294

Kind of funny when you can make magnetic fields with a magnet.

View attachment 1506295

I'm no expert on this, but does this indicate bearing wear? The oil is about a year and a half old, and I know that the oil didn't come out like this the last time I changed it, it was also a year and a half at that time.

@NorthloopCup I've send you a PM regarding rebuild etc. ;)
Well that’s certainly not what I’d expect to see mate after that period of time, but I guess it can depend on how much work it’s had.

Yeah seen the pm buddy 👍🏻 I’ll reply later on as I’ve been flat out busy the last few days.