ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil disappearing... damage?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Box got filled up in January after a clutch change put about 3.5litres in,

now the car has only been on the road 2 1/2 weeks and after a trip to Northwich on friday they said you have a slight leak were the passenger drive shaft enters the box, so though id top it up today just to keep on top as its booked in next Wednesday to be replaced.

But it took 2 litres today :S and that didnt even filled it up, so il need to get more oil tomorrow now,

Due to the lack of oil going out of the box what's kinda of damage that could happen?

Also is the Rubber gaitor that's on a 1.2 shaft a perfect fit to the shape on the Jc5 box?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
How easy is it to change?

because if its easily do-able myself then il give it a go, but if not il get a mate to fit it and il do assemble it all back on the car..

Do you know if the oil seal is exactly like a normal 172 one? as im running 1.2 shafts on a cup gearbox

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Are the shafts a different diameter to Cup shafts? If they are slightly smaller then oil will be leaking from the seals.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Im not 100% sure, this is were me knowledge goes blank, iv done the whole engine swap myself and sorted every problem but things like this im useless at.

If it helps the 3 bolts line up exactly to the holes on the box, so what i think could happen is the metal bit as bent slightly, but cant put it down to that yet..

Lionel Richie
i run 1.2 shaft on a 172 cup box and the gaitor fits, might not fit a 172 shaft at the small end though)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Just the man i wanted to hear from,

Thanks for clearing that up fred, how easy is it to replace the gaitor? as there's a bearing on aswell ye

Lionel Richie
easy peasy, driveshaft has to come out, but that's not that hard, new one just slips over the bearing and you can use a jubilee clip to secure it to the bearing (the clip that comes with it is s**t)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Got back to the car today after work and there was a massive puddle of gearbox oil on the floor, so now car is jacked up and ready to change tomorrow,

Anyone got a part number for the gaitor please, if it helps reg is YJ52 GHB

thanks